Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2008 Odyssey Luxury - strange noise

Hi my 2008 Odyssey has a strange humming noise when driving. It has 17000kms and I thought it wAs the worn OE Dunlop sp230 tyres. However I just had 4 new Pirelli P7 put on and the noise is still there. It can get quite noisy especially on the freeway. Is this tyre noise or another problem. Wheel bearings etc ?. Seperaty I have always had a pulsating brake pedal when applying the brakes at a reasonable speed. I told the dealer that it feels like the abs is cutting in but I'm not braking that hard. He said it's normal. All advice welcome. Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    My 2 cents... Sounds like u got a warped brake disc rotor.
    Old man that drives slow cars

Alonso, welcome to the Odyssey family section 1st. actually need more info on yr problem(s).... pulsating brake pedal should be warped rotor as Evo advised but if you are saying quite noisy while driving means yr rotor(s) is really warped and touching pad all the time. unless they are 2 different issues.....

The pulsating or shudder through the brake pedal mainly occurs whilst braking down hill. The other humming noise is normally at freeway speed or 60kmh/hr and above. I'm thinking the humming noise is either tyre noise or wheel bearings. Anyone have an odyssey with the same issue? Thanks for the replies thus far

Member Array
    Car:
    06 TC'd RB1
    Have you done an alignment after the tyre change? Don't think it will be the bearings as your car is too new. The Odyssey's sound proofing is alright, but there still will be road and tyre noise. Have you checked your tyre pressure?

What sort of driving do u usually do? Alot of start stop with heavy braking? Driven through water puddles or washed the car immediately after a hard drive? I have heard that it is quite common for the Odyssey rotors to be be very hot due to the amount of weight it needs to stop. If you suddenly cool it down, it will easily warp.

Get a second opinion from another dealer or workshop. If it is the rotors it should be covered under warranty.

I don't have those issues, but then again I've got after market brakes on the car and I'm running 18" tyres and rim so my noise level would be a bit more.
    Old man that drives slow cars

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    Like Damien said, try do wheel alignment and see if it solves your problem.
    Team Agentz

Options Motorsports

My Accord Euro: [ENDUT]

My Odyssey: [BRUANG]

MY GARAGE SALE

Had an alignment And bAlance 2 weeks ago with Pirelli p7's all round. Brake shudder and noise still there. Rang my Honda dealer and they said at the last service they checked the rotors and they're fine. Hard to believe them.

take yr RB1 to another mechanic for check up. Honda dealers will do nothing as i experienced before. pax side rear rotor has a rounded scratch and squeezing sounds due to imperfection/inconsistent materials on OEM brake pad as per my mechanic. take it up with dealer under warranty, u know what the Honda mechanic was telling me.... "its normal and your rotor will need to re-surface after another 10k km which will get rid of the scratch and no more noise". i looked at him and want to say WTFFFFFF.... of course "its normal" due to warranty will be expired after another 10k km. finally change the rear pads to Dixcel and noise gone immediately plus even wear on rotor as well.

Thanks mate. Honda dealers are a joke. Had a Mazda before and the dealer was always very accommodating. I love the Odyssey but Honda I have found to be very arrogant. Any questions I've raised their only response is that's normal. I'll never buy a Honda again. Last night I tried to do a bed in procedure on the existing pads invade there was uneven distribution of pad material on the rotors. Got rid of brake squeal will advise if shudder has gone on downhill braking once I get the chance. Will changing to a non OEM pad void warranty ?

i've never care about warranty except engine parts so not sure. but now what is warranty??
    Last edited by AusAccord; 15-12-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Polar Bear Array
    Car:
    09 RB1 Lux
    It depends on the dealer though. Have you tried different dealer? I never had problem with claiming warranty before. I claimed 3 times for master cylinder to be replaced for my euro.
    Team Agentz

Options Motorsports

My Accord Euro: [ENDUT]

My Odyssey: [BRUANG]

MY GARAGE SALE

Member Array
    Car:
    MY10 Ody Lux
    Sounds like a bearing issue of some sort to me as it's possible a higher frequency sound. And yes, your car is relatively new but stuff happens even on brand new cars.
    The shudder sounds like a front rotor issue, especially when the weight is moved forward when you're breaking going down hill.
    Like the others have suggested though, definitely get a second opinion, perhaps from an independant workshop that would also do warranty work - best of both worlds.