Thread: 2nd hand info?

Question 2nd hand info?

Hi all,

Whats your opinion on picking the following?

1. Private Sale

2. Dealer "used"

3. Dealer Ex-Demo

I'm interested in purchasing a 2nd hand civic type r and there are a few to choose from.

However, I'd like to know what some of your opinions are in relation to the above 3 categories. I'm thinking ex-demo might be bad because people may have thrashed the car during demo runs, thus creating damage like clutch wear/burn etc... Private is the hardest to tell I guess, and Dealer used I don't even know what that means... In the end I might even consider getting one new somehow...

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!
    wahoo84

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3
    I'd say private unless you know the dealer. Dealers obviously have extra fees (commission ect.) that are added to the cost of the car so it's likely that private will end up cheaper. Also, I find it easier to negotiate through private sales.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    Also consider if you have a car you want to trade it, it's easier to go to the dealer. Haggle them down to the lowest you can, and then introduce your trade in.

stance > fenders

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R and M35
    Buying from a private seller =
    1. Make sure you can get RWC of the car
    2. Thoroughly check by your trusted mechanic
    3. No accident history + rev check
    4. no owing money (seller from his/her bank)
    5. clean history with log books
    6. If your buying an FN2R - you probably can still get one still under warranty from dealer (get all certificate)
    7. Test drive feel the car yourself

Downside
    nothing really if you check everything

Ex-demos?
    they are not too bad - just remember that their are more than 10+ people test drove the care before you bought it :-)
    you can negotiate ex-demos to get all extras + warranties + benefits like buying a new car. Be smart and negotiate smart

Dealer used?

It's like buying an ex-demo car but warranty will be less than what you can get from an ex-demo and new, extras? hard to
    get and benefits? well it is totally a second hand car.

Member Array
    Car:
    '08 Odyssey Lux
    Private - means just that.. It's been owned by someone - most of the time from brand new or second hand

Demo - just that. It is/was the car the dealer used to show off when he was selling the same car. Normally has a few extras and some goodies too.

Dealer demo - often used by staff as 'lease' cars either from head office or from the dealerships. They are pretty much treated like rentals.

Hope that helps ya.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    I have a mate or two who work at dealerships and drive dealer demos as their lease cars. I wouldn't suggest buying one of these, because you know they've had the shit ripped out of them from their first Km.

That is important because when a car is new, it should be run in properly so as to not damage the engine. If you thrash a standard car in the first 1000kms you're decreasing the life of the engine considerably..

stance > fenders

Buy mine