Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EK4

Slotted Rotors Noisy?

Hi,
    Just a quick one, a friend told me that slotted rotors are actually quite noisy (in cabin). During braking they produce a whirring noise at least for the cars he has been in (holdens), is this true?

Thanks
    Green and Gold Ghetto EK4
    OEM Front Lip, Ghetto Special CAI, ASR Brace, ITR Rear Sway, N+ Coilovers, X-Force Headers and TL Muffler, Custom B Pipe, type-r rear lip, OEM visors

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I haven't heard this in the slotted ones I've been in/driven. Whirring IMO tends to be from the tyres, maybe from the strain put on them during the deceleration?

Braking is friction, inevitably there will always be some noise.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    depends on the pads as well - i had slotted and dimpled pads with EBC green pads on my Dc2 and they had a bit of a sound to them - sounded awsome tho lol
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    yes i realise friction will always cause noise, but this was to the point that people thought the car had something wrong with it. Especially when you really pushed the braking.
    Green and Gold Ghetto EK4
    OEM Front Lip, Ghetto Special CAI, ASR Brace, ITR Rear Sway, N+ Coilovers, X-Force Headers and TL Muffler, Custom B Pipe, type-r rear lip, OEM visors

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    no. your mate mustve had something wrong with the brakes or were using noisy pads.
    maybe didnt put shims on his pads.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Sounds like the driver hasn't properly bed the pads into the discs - or they are a shit driver and do alot of stop start driving , perhaps sitting for time with the brakes clamped on ( such at lights etc) and have left deposits on the discs

Ps had slotted rotors before no issues or excess noise

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    No noises here with my slotted rotors.
    Deano.

My mates Brembo's makes a creaking sorta sound when braking, but is said to be normal for the type of pads he has on it, supposely its racing brake pads and it does this.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwn_boi View Post
    not quite sure how to spell but taste mad, its hard on the outside and creamy on the inside omfg so good

Quote Originally Posted by quang View Post
    yes i realise friction will always cause noise, but this was to the point that people thought the car had something wrong with it. Especially when you really pushed the braking.
    then maybe there is something wrong........

How can we tell that its true, weather your friend has been in a Holden, that creates a whirring noise when the brakes are applied.

If you really need to find out, you should ask your mate which friends Holden he was in and ask that owner if you could take a ride and ask him to apply the brake so you can hear weather there is a whirring noise.......

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz EVO IX
    i've got slotted rotors and no difference over the stock ones
    Evo IX - THE FINAL EVOLUTION

Member Array
    Car:
    jazz
    i'm using slotted rotor on the front and only has the whirring noise under very heavy braking at the track.
    not sure if it is from the tyre, used re01 re001 ad07 Z1 with the same rotor, all the same, whirring only under very heavy braking..
    the noise make it sound like i'm rolling on semis tyre lol