Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about buying rims

As the title suggests, i'm hatin my stock rims with the wheel cover garbage. How would i go about searching for rims? Where would i find a nice set, how do i know it will fit on my car, how do i put them on, how much would it cost etc

Thanks for any help, i'm such a noob

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    for starters, quick search should cover most of the q's u have... theres few threads around on wheel fitment

if its for a teggy dc2/4 or civic, generally they go any where from 15 - 16's with wideness from 6.5 to 8 inch
    an offset around from 30mm plus all way upto plus 45mm, depending on how wide the rim is, an what the purpose is, looks or function
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

lol bro i have no idea what you just said... i dont understand car vocab!

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

basically all you need to know is that ur car will only fit wheels that are 4x100.

if your car is lowered, a lot of factors need to come into play to need to fit you're wheels

for example width, the wider the wheels, the harder the wheels will be to fit if ur car is lowered, as it can rub against ur guards because its too wide.
    for example if its a 4x100, and the wheel is 8" wide, with "+0" offset, you will definately need to roll your guards, and camber your wheels (make ur wheels sit on a slant) so that it the wheels can sit under ur car without hitting ur guards. but if its a 8" wide and a "+40" offset, it might be easier to fit
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    also factor in the tires as well, although its simple task, the rubber quality an fitments will effect how the vehicle handles, an for god sakes dont cheap out on rubber, get well known branded tires, Bridgestone, BF goodrich, Toyo to name a few, stay away from any el cheapo tires
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    What's your budget? And what look do you want? Colour preferences? Lots of thin spokes? Less/fatter spokes?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5S
    Just google search Integra pics until you find wheels you like the look of, post the pic here and we will identify them. Make sure they aren't ridiculous in terms of diameter and width of course, because they won't fit without modifications to the car. If they are expensive wheels, im sure there will be similar replicas available.
    Last edited by nickk; 21-12-2010 at 03:58 PM.

I thought the cheapest option for me would be to just get some good looking wheel covers to replace my scratched up stock ones right now. Went down to autobarn, i wasnt sure what "inches" my wheels were so the employee went out to have a look and said they were 14, and that any 14 inch caps would fit. There were a bunch of really horrible ones that made me cringe but there were some so called "chrome" ones? I thought they looked quite decent and i wouldn't really give a shit if i scratched them going too close to the kerb and whatnot. I'm still an inexperienced driver so i think it might be best to just go with $50 covers than to scratch up some alloys that cost an arm and a leg. Then when i've driven for a few months, might think about getting some cheap <$600 rims, and might be able to re-sell them if i decide to sell the car, thus not losing too much cashish on them.

My question is... im pretty sure my wheels right now have 4 screw things in the middle, and the caps i saw had 5, does that matter? the employee just said "any" 14 caps are fine. Also... i think i prefer the ones with less but fatter spokes over the one with a million thin ones. Which one do you recommend considering that underneath are the steelie things with the holes

Sorry for the long read, and thanks for your help!

chrome rims are bad enough for me but chrome hub caps >.< and to answers your question about the bolt things, the hubcaps can have as many nuts as it wants on the hubcaps, there only there for decoration. id suggest you just go for something normal and non homo, just a simple 5 spoke design until you get some proper rims.
    Be water my friend.

Is there something about chrome i should know about? I'm so not in with the times here

I don't want something faglike, just something that is different. No one will notice a new set of hubcaps but hey it's only $50 and it's not all scratched up with black lines and shiz all over it. It definetely can't look any worse than the caps the car came with at the moment.

EDIT: and what are those silver things that go around the wheel? like the silver lip thing. do you put that on steelies or something? just saw it there and got curious
    Last edited by charliebrown; 21-12-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    Is there something about chrome i should know about? I'm so not in with the times here

I don't want something faglike, just something that is different. No one will notice a new set of hubcaps but hey it's only $50 and it's not all scratched up with black lines and shiz all over it. It definetely can't look any worse than the caps the car came with at the moment.

EDIT: and what are those silver things that go around the wheel? like the silver lip thing. do you put that on steelies or something? just saw it there and got curious
    i think your talkin about the border of the hubcaps, there essential for the design of the hubcap because thats were the clips are mounted to attatch onto the steelies but im no hubcap expert. theres nothing wrong with chrome style rims its just that most of them are that bulky style which i hate.
    Be water my friend.