Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC5R,EK,BB6,CT9A,SSZ

5th gen Prelude gearbox problem

Automatic gearbox problem

Hey guys

Have got another prelude for a run around car and its been around 2 months since ive been experiencing problems.

The acceleration is very sluggish and gear changes are very hostile. When i engage tiptronic from a stop the gear is in 3rd.. and decides to change to a higher gear each time.Overall the car runs like shit, vtec is very slow. The speedo is going crazy like its at Defqon and the car when on idle jerks and feels like its going to stall.

The previous owner said that he got the gearbox re-conditioned..

Any suggestions on what it might be and how i can fix this problem

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    I assume this is an auto gviven the tiptronic reference...
    does it lurch when you are stopped say at a traffic light? If so I would suggest checking the transmission oil level. if low then the torque convereter is not doing its job and can contribute to some of the issues you are describing.

The other thing you can do is check that the Throttle Lever thingy on the transmission is loose or has more than a couple of millimetres play in it. Adjusting this can smooth out gear changes generally.

Also, jack the car up and see that the transmission mounts are nice and tight - after a "reconditioning" these may have come loose or not have been torqued properly.

Oh, and if you found your trany fluid is really dark and shitty looking you probably want to chage/drain the oil with some Honda ATF and if there is a filter on the tranny (not sure about the 5G's), you should change that while you're busy.

Good luck.
    Z

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Answered on PA :P

All in all, 5th gen autos pre 1999 are poop.

Member Array
    Car:
    83, 85 &86 lude
    lol.. I should have known...