Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 VTi Coupe

Suggested Turbocharging Ideas for D15B7 engine

Hi,

Don't fancy doing an engine swap, but was looking to beef up my 94 Civic GLi...

looking for any ideas as far as forced induction goes, or if anyone knows anyone who has undertaken such a task before... I'm not expecting mass powergains, and pending price and power gains I may still do an engine conversion, just looking for some thoughts and ideas at this stage...

Cheers...
    57U-00

Silver EJ8 Civic VTi Coupe - Still low - still slow!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    still better off putting a vtir B18C2 engine in there for bang for buck and reliability
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Forget what others say about engine swap...... This isnt what the op asked lol

If u can find a greddy kit, its quite the bang for buck kit, power wise, any where from 110 - 150kw, depending supporting mods that also influence the cars power

My mates doing similar, using a greddy kit, but going to be using a Hondata S100 chip, an using RC440 injectors to make most of the kit

Or u can build ur own kit, me in the near future, ill be using a nissan 180sx T25G turbo, as it can hold more boost
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    just boost it, fuk putting in new engine swap unless ur 1 is going to take a sht soon.
    i 2nd greddy kit as well, saves hassle sourcing parts.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    check out d-series.org mate

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    coming from personal experience, greddy kit is perfect for a eg cause of the weight... In a ek, it wont pull as much because of the weight... but man in a eg, u really feel the G's lol... for some reason it felt quicker than a S15, prbs due to the sizre, but other wise, id say, go for Greddy kit, simple bolt on kit

IF ur wanting to go another route, Ebay kit... iev Read mixed reviews, but if i was to go that route, the only thing i wouldnt touch is the turbo an waste gate... 2 main things id imagine would fail under load.. but replace em with good units, id say its just like greddy kit

Im not sure about the much more expensive Peaks boost, ask umm Riced_Civic, his had experience an got a kit in his ES1 civic, it makes more power cause of the better an bigger turbo compared to greddy kit from reviews read
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    peakboost isnt a cheap kit but it has quality

i made 137kw with it on my stock D, the pull feels the same as my mates 200kw S15 as ive got close to 300kg weight advantage

if u want sumthing that makes it more fun to drive but nothing 2 serious get the greedy. just to change the piggy back to a full ECU and get sum injectors (440) if they dont come with it.
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 VTi Coupe
    awesome, thanks for the help guys...

next question remains... does anyone know any places in Brisbane that would be able to get a hold of either a PeakBoost or a GReddy kit?
    57U-00

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Unfortunatly the kit is rare around here, best chances are Ebay, dont even bother trying Ebay.com.au... got nothing at all... If not, try looking around, it pops up once every blue moon

Btw its not Greddy Japan that makes the kit, its Greddy USA, so if it was a new kit that was to be sourced, it would be shipped from there, so look for some one who has contact there
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    no one will import those kits, its a diy hobby

boosting that engine is just an expensive exercise, which will not yield the results

you really need a better base, for the cost effectiveness of going boost, as your base has alot of limitations in its overall design

I could go on and on and on, but if given the same money Id be investing in a better base to start with for running boost
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 VTi Coupe
    the tough thing is picking which engine to swap for... and at the end of the day, anything above 250 horsies is gonna be a waste in a front wheel drive car... with my current engine and the right set up I could wrangle about 300hp out of the engine... if i go up to a bigger engine, a turbo down the line would just be overkill and a waste of time...
    57U-00

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    nothing wrong with turbo d-series, ppl talk of d-series being bad, but have never bothered to do it, its nothing more than crap talk..... all about the b-series, cause they think its so high an mighty

Jump onto d-series.org an turbod16.com, proof of it being a popular conversion, an that IT WORKS

Its not an expensive excersise if u know what ur doin, a good dyno session an tune will leave the car running like any oem turbo car, same deal with installation, just play it safe
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC