Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 VTi Coupe
    my motor (for some reason) even tho it is fairly stock is pulling about 110kw at the flywheel atm... (have a 4" axle back cannon and a simota short ram air intake with a 4" drift pod filter)... the motor is performaing above and beyond what it is supposed to have left the factory with, even with a couple of minor mods... my mate has a D16 SOHC V-Tec in his EK civic, with the same set up with a short ram air intake, pod filter and axle back cannon exhaust (i think he has headers done as well) and his motor out of the factory does 107kw, and he's not a shit driver and every time we line up and let loose i best him... without fail... (so my 110kw is an estimate based on his motor and performance, but still his motor has just been rebuilt before he bought the car)...

so spending $6000 on an engine swap to gain 30kw (thats if i go up to a B18C2) seems like a waste
    spending $6000 on boosting it and doing it right (replacing internals etc) and getting up to between 190kw and 220kw (which is possible according to the D-Series forums - if done right) is worth it...

to buy a vehicle that can do that, i.e. a WRX (even an ealry model one) i'd be up for at least $10,000, and I don't like them, i like my civic... so this is my dilema...

I know this thread has turned into a pissing contest between D-Series and B-Series fans... i personally like both but want bang for buck... but are there any suppliers that anyone could recommend where I can obtain forged internals (pistons, rods, cranks, cams, etc...) so I can at least start weighing up what this build is gonna cost... lol... thats all I want...
    57U-00

Silver EJ8 Civic VTi Coupe - Still low - still slow!

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    To rebuild d-series, most parts are having to be brought over seas, from the states, but a built d-series is just as good as any built b-series, than thats to say with any rebuilt engine

B18c2 is good, but like u said, for 6k u can build an turbo a d-series thats even better than that

theres quite a debate about d vs b, but at the end of the day, its ur car, do what pleases you, dont let some keyboard warrior push u into doin something just cause they said so

the general rule is if ur wanting to get a turbo, should always start off with a turbo car, skykline, wrx as such... im personally tossing up weather to boost it or just trade it for a turbo, but with melb shitty hoon policy, imports are the main source or revenue so its kinda a gamble to get one atm
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    y waste money on a b series its not worth the little gain for 6k fuk dat, u can have a turbo d series which can do 11s for 6k, thats if u do ur own labour work. u do the math is it worth it spending 6k on a b18c for minim gain or 6k on a d series ova 200kw atw machine which will spunk on alot of cars.

check these suppliers out they have everything u need to build ur engine. http://www.fjdistributors.com/

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 VTi Coupe
    i think i'm just gonna finish off the cosmetics for the car as I can't make up my mind... i'll start saving after that point and either buy a car that was designed to be turbo, or force feed my D-Series... was also given alot of good information on super chargers today too...
    57U-00

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9-N/A DC2-S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by 57U-00 View Post
    was also given alot of good information on super chargers today too...
    i got a supercharged (JRSC) b20vtec in a dc2. just curious what did you hear about supercharger's. i'm only asking co's ive been reading through some of the forums and no one seems to either understand them or like them?

Member Array
    Car:
    EJ8 VTi Coupe
    I heard that they're easy, simple, and cheaper... they're mechanical more than electronic, and they give u instant and constant boost... the only downside is they chew more fuel because of being on constant boost than a turbo would...

I think most ppl either don't understand them or are blindly committed to turbos... 10 years ago if u suggested to someone with a commodore or falcon to turbo charge it over supercharging it they'd have killed u... now the XR6 comes out of the factory turboed, and the amount of ppl i've heard of turbo charging their old school and new school V8 holdens is insane... its the same just reverse with jap cars... they usually come turbo from the factory so thats what most ppl know about them so they stick to what they know...
    57U-00

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    If you want to keep it cheap do some research on Vitara pistons. Of course D-Series.org is your friend for this build, it's a great website and very inspiring too lol.

300HP is too much. I've seen D16A8's with very big builds only making 270-330HP, and that's tens of thousands later.

To be honest something like 130-150+ HP will feel great in your car. Get a small turbo to reduce lag, stick it on about 8PSI (or 10 if you're confident the engine is healthy and strong) and see what happens.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Super charger on a 1.6 is considered abit over the top... On a B18 an K20 its alright, given the motors have more torque/power to run it, but on a b16/d16, they dont have that much... u wont make more than 250hp on a super charger... an also, given that they run out of puff top end, those turbo d's will catch up on the long straight

Its just more sensible if u stick to turbo than a super charger on a 1.6

But had u had a K20, super charger ftw! Lotus uses it in there cars
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9-N/A DC2-S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    Super charger on a 1.6 is considered abit over the top... On a B18 an K20 its alright, given the motors have more torque/power to run it, but on a b16/d16, they dont have that much... u wont make more than 250hp on a super charger... an also, given that they run out of puff top end, those turbo d's will catch up on the long straight

Its just more sensible if u stick to turbo than a super charger on a 1.6

But had u had a K20, super charger ftw! Lotus uses it in there cars
    good point there mate. but i spose it depends on what you use the motor for. personally if i was into drag racing i would have gone a turbo. but i prefer the windy roads and not having to shift to second all the time to get back into boost on the street to feel the torque, especially with the larger turbo's and extra lag? but with the JRSC kit, on light throttle and idle it'll run N/A, there's a direct vavle that closes at medium-full throttle on the manifold from the increased vacuum and allows the rotors inside the blower to do their job. so i find quite economical i get 10.5 liters per hundred k's and thats a mix of highway and inner city driving.

but i think the way to go with your setup would be for the turbo. little motor, little turbo= zippy fun for a daily drive.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    nice, good to know coming from real world experience, have you got a dyno sheet? would be nice to see what sorta results with ur super charger it makes on the dyno
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9-N/A DC2-S/C
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    nice, good to know coming from real world experience, have you got a dyno sheet? would be nice to see what sorta results with ur super charger it makes on the dyno
    got no dyno sheet. but doing my research, on paper from the JRSC info i could find. the kit produces 222hp/166kW @ wheel's on a factory b18c-R. but on a b20vtec/b18c-vtiR head with type-r cam's, 2.5 exhaust with high flow cat and high flow pod filter and help'd by a S200 i'd generally assume some where around 250hp/187kW. i originally bought the DC2-96 with all this and have only had to maintain and service the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    EF8
    I'm in Bris and did my own EF8 turbo conversion. If you want any help or advise drop me a PM.