Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI

Hello from Perth, WA

Hi,
    I'm new to the site, and it's got a reason - '99 Civic GLI, sedan, that we bought as our kid's first car
    Car looks alright and drives nice, and kid's happy with it!
    On this forum I hope to find out all the relevant stuff about the car, tips and tricks, and maybe (fingers crossed) User's Manual and Repair Manual.
    Here's the carsales page where we've got the car (that's the one, at least untill I make a few photos to post...
    http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...d=12C1D9679D22
    Well, I'm off to start searching the forum, cheers to all, have a good one!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    niceee find

if that were in syd id buy it in a heartbeat...

also welcome to OH

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Thanks mate,
    yeah, after a lot of search and trouble we've decided that she's gonna be the one. We're already into doing some slight changes to the sound system - you'd expect a teenie to want one in his pride and joy, right? What some of you (maybe) wouldn't expect is that daddy (well that's me) is doing the main work. But as I'm "only" 37yo, I'm a little bit "into it", so why not?! His mum's still grumbling something about the noise and so on, but who cares
    Anyway, we'll be trying to do it properly, kiddo has already started sound deadening the doors and the trunk, afterwards we'll go as following:
    - pulling RCA and remote cables from HU to the trunk, speaker cables from trunk to the front doors, power cables from battery to the trunk
    - making a proper sized ported box for the sub, and also place the amp in the "right light"
    - making door panels (MDF + fibreglass) to hold double woofers + crossover
    - sorting out tweeter mounts - either in mirror corners, or on the A-pillar (depending on sound)
    - what else? No idea yet, there's so much to do...
    We're not going for an overkill, but rather make possibilities for future improvement, if necessary. Kiddo wants nice, clean sound, but it must be able to go loud as well (a little showing off with mates, of course)
    I'll try and make a build-up thread, if anyone's interested.
    Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    haha u sure this if for ur son????

got any other plans for the car once the systems done, cars got potential for more?

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by SajadEG View Post
    haha u sure this if for ur son????

got any other plans for the car once the systems done, cars got potential for more?
    Oh yeah, that's definitely for him, my girl's got a diamond in front, and she loves going off the beaten track
    About that potential, tell me a bit more, (hope son doesn't read it too soon though). But as said, it's his first car (well if I forget that he owned a MBW 318 for a month - and managed to get it written off, even with his mum in a passenger seat!!! But that was a dumb accident, only insurance thought it's cheaper to pay it out, rather then to get rear axle + suspension fixed). Anyway he'll need to prove that he can drive, before we look into that potential! But please, tell me a bit more
    Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    '01 WRX
    lol, your the opposite to my dad... he's like your car is good as it is, yea i agree with that but no harm in making it a little bit better hehe.

and welcome to OzHonda, lots of knowledge here.
    OVERRATED TO BE UNDERRATED

LOLNOPE!

Member Array
    Car:
    na2 typeR
    in terms of appearance, lowered sussy with some 15"s, front lip for a clean jdm look...or you can get bigger rims, preferrably chrome, all depends on what your son is into.

performance wise, if you got the dosh do a quick vtec conversion (b16a), or in the meantime source some headers/performance manifold, pod filter.

the aftermarket bin for civics is huge, it all comes down to taste.

im sure after a while he'l forget he was ever into germans haha

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996_EK_Civic View Post
    lol, your the opposite to my dad... he's like your car is good as it is, yea i agree with that but no harm in making it a little bit better hehe.

and welcome to OzHonda, lots of knowledge here.
    Thanks for the welcome mate , I'm trying to do my best with the kids and their cars, works out to be good. They appreciate it and it makes us all feel better and more "connected". That said, I support them with my skills, but they both have to go work and save money for most the goodies that go in their cars. Also, all on road costs are paid by themselves, as I say "that's the price you pay for your independance!" Helps them appreciate the value of their work! Hope your dad will soon start helping you out as well, getting his hands "dirty"
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by SajadEG View Post
    in terms of appearance, lowered sussy with some 15"s, front lip for a clean jdm look...or you can get bigger rims, preferrably chrome, all depends on what your son is into.

performance wise, if you got the dosh do a quick vtec conversion (b16a), or in the meantime source some headers/performance manifold, pod filter.

the aftermarket bin for civics is huge, it all comes down to taste...
    well, he'd like some 17'' rims, but we're talking probably about $1.5k-2k, so that means a lot of after-school-work for him, we'll se how keen he is . Slight performance mods on the existing engine are also aomething to look into, but as said, he'll need to prove that he can drive first . And I'll have to learn a lot about these cars as well.
    Is it possible to get an Users Manual and also Repair Manual for these cars (preferably for the right hand drive, I was able to source an USA/Canadian Service Manual already)?

Member Array
    Car:
    '01 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wixxer View Post
    All on road costs are paid by themselves, as I say "that's the price you pay for your independance!" Helps them appreciate the value of their work!
    yea, i work and i pay for everything for my car, it's a real kick in the ass from having no car and paying for nothing but thats life...

Quote Originally Posted by wixxer View Post
    Hope your dad will soon start helping you out as well, getting his hands "dirty"
    My dad will help me, but he is against modding my car. i don't care lol if he won't help i have a few friends which are happy to lend a hand, like when i put my sound system in and put new headers on.
    OVERRATED TO BE UNDERRATED

LOLNOPE!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    I wish i had a dad like you LOL

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    I wish i had a dad like you LOL
    Thanks mate
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996_EK_Civic View Post
    yea, i work and i pay for everything for my car, it's a real kick in the ass from having no car and paying for nothing but thats life...

My dad will help me, but he is against modding my car. i don't care lol if he won't help i have a few friends which are happy to lend a hand, like when i put my sound system in and put new headers on.
    Good on ya mate, just make sure you don't make your old man angry, talk to him, he'll understand - and if he can give you good reasons why he's against this or that, then you shoud undertand, too
    (omg, I start sounding like an old fart :P)