Thread: Rear strut ?

Rear strut ?

DC2, the question is should I put a rear strut or not? From my understanding the DC2s already come with a rear sway bar so is a rear strut really gonna make that much of a difference?

And on a side note: does the rear strut get in the way heaps for big items in the boot? Thx in advance.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG B20
    I presume you mean a rear strut tower bar. They are designed to increase rigidity in the body, allowing the suspension to affect handling charactistics as apposed to flexing from the chassis under load. Their benefit is therefore somewhat proportional to the general stiffness of the suspension setup.

With standard suspension (springs, shocks, small/no stabilizer) you will reap no noticeable benefits from a strut tower bar. If you are running larger rear sway, stiffer springs, then it is worthwhile. But you still won't get large improvements in daily driving like you do from those other components, it's more incremental, not chalk and cheese...

Yeah I've got upgraded springs but haven't upgraded my shocks yet. U rkn it's worth doing?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    liberx is totally correct. I wouldn't bother with a rear strut bar at this point of your suspension modifications, the difference will be imperceptible and probably not make the car any faster. If you are still running 10+ year old stock shocks then save your money and replace them with something performance oriented. Koni sport shocks for example are affortable and a great upgrade and you will really notice the change in handling unlike a strut bar.

Thanks for your help, I will look at getting some shocks first...

Member Array
    Car:
    EG B20
    +1 for Konis, or KYB AGX if on a tighter budget.