Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5

steering sounds?

Hey guys
    I recently purchased a 2002 dc5 integra which has done 100000km with full service history and ive noticed something rather odd when i steer.
    When i turn right while accelerating i hear this almost grinding sound coming from the front of my car, it sounds as if its coming from the front left area but not 100% sure.
    When i turn left while accelerating, there is no sound what so ever :S
    I also tested turning right sharply (not pressing the accelerator at around 50km/hr rolling) and there was no sound? Same result as when i turn left as well.
    So ive come to the conclusion that when i turn right whilst accelerating (no matter what speed) the grinding sound occurs?
    has anyone experienced this before? is there a problem with the cv joints or bushes? or is it a sign that i might need a wheel alignment?
    any pointers would be great

thanks in advance fellas

Have you looked under/in the wheel arches yet?

have a look to see if anything is rubbing.

Might just be tyres rubbing on the wheel arches.

You have aftermarket wheels? different size?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    to be honest i havent actually jacked up my car yet and looked under the wheel arches, just thought that if it was something rubbing then i would hear it everytime when i turn right? but the sound only occurs whilst accelerating?
    i know the rims are stock and it pretty much has the right size tires (205/55/r16)
    i'll jack up my car and just check it out when i get home later on and see how it goes tho

Best to look yourself and do all possible checks yourself before asking questions over the net.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5
    Okay so i jacked up my car and dont see the tire grinding on the mudguard or anything.
    but i did notice something, it might just be my eyes but when i steer to the right, the tires dont seem to turn as much as it turns to the left?
    could this be the cause of the grinding sound i'm having when i accelerate during right turns?

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9,DA3,EG,DA9
    have seen similar problems when i was working at a steering and suspension shop. most common and easy to check things would be:
    1. starting with wheels straight ahead count how many turns of steering wheel to left lock then repeat to right lock. if theres a difference of more than 1/3 of a turn (approx) then chances are ur steering rack has been out at some stage and when it was put back in its input shaft and the steering column have not been properly aligned.
    or 2. look under car at tierod ends and check how much thread is still showing on each rackend. if theres a significant difference it would indicate a dodgy toe-and-go wheel alignment.
    as for grinding noise under acceration and steering could be as simple as worn castor/lower control arm bushes or even something loose/broken... wouldnt hurt to get ur front end checked out.
    most places don't even charge much to check for problems.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2
    i had a similar problem as well, i just got my CV joints changed and it went away
    Code:
    " the harder you push, the louder she screems! "