Thread: Hi There

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic

Hi There

Hi there,

I have been doing some googling re: Civic vs Jazz and I came across this forum. Lots of good info. Thanks to all the regulars

I am a big Civic fan!! My civic history includes

1991 Got my license and drove a 1972 Torana for 6 months - HATED it!!!

1992 bought my first ever civic and have never looked back:
    * 1974 Blue honda civic called "Bluey" - crashed it

1994 bought a "shell" and used engine from my original civic
    * 1975 White honda civic called "Dewey" (with few engine from my first civic)

1998 Graduated uni and bought:
    * BRAND NEW 1998 Civic Cxi called "Freddy" - green 3 door hatch and I loved it to bits, put 200k on it in 7 years, took it through creek beds in Mill Stream National park, Drove from Perth to Karratha, Kalgoorlie, Albany and many places in between, with lots of city driving as well. It never missed a beat. Serviced regularly - as per Honda guidelines, and apart from the usual brakes, batteries, timing belts it never needed anything.

2005 Moved to NZ
    * 1995 Hond Civic import from Japan, not sure of model, 140k on the clock, drove it for 5 years, 6 monthly servicing, again no problems at all, one new set of CV joints, brakes, but nothing else major

2010 - moved back to Aus and it is time to buy a new car, not so cashed up, have ~ $6000 to spend. Have been checking out cars on gum tree, quokka, West Asutralian, etc and I have a few to choose from.

For my money I can get either
    A) ~ 1998-2000 civic with ~ 130-150k on the clock
    or
    B) ~ 2004 Jazz with ~ 100k on the clock.

My big question is:
    Can Jazz go the distance?

I mostly want the car for driving to/from work = 30k of city driving each way including a run on the freeway
    But I also want to be able to cruise around WA - which will put some miles on it. Mostly will be weekend trips to Margaret River etc - 300km each way.

I am very loyal to civics as they have served me very, very well since 1992. But when I test drove a second hand Jazz I was very impressed by the internal space and the overall handling.

I am very keen to hear peoples opinions on what would be my best buy for the $ I have to spend. I will post my question re: Jazz going the distance in a separate thread with appropriate title.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mimsy; 17-01-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Calm down a bit, you've made a fair few threads!

anyway, there's nothing wrong with a jazz - it'll stil have honda reliability. You can't really go much more wrong with a jazz than a civic.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    Calm down a bit, you've made a fair few threads!
    lol sorry. Just wasn't sure where the best place was to post my qu re: civic vs jazz.

thanks for your comment re: reliability as I guess this is what I really wanted to know - i.e. with regular servicing can I expect a jazz to give me 200k without major engine trouble.

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    if you take it easy and drive it the way it was designed to be driven (sedately) then there's no reason that with a regular service it wont go all the way to 300,000km. Especially if you mainy doing highway driving. It is a car though and the older they get the more common problems are, just make sure you service it regularly and keep it's fluids up and you'll be right

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Thanks Oz_Striker. I am a sensible/sedate driver and I always have my cars serviced at least every 6 months or 10, 000km (whatever comes sooner). With the cars available in my price range it is a hard choice between the jazz and civic for me, but I am leaning towards a Jazz.

Hey man! Welcome to ozhonda. If your going to get a Jazz I know of one for sale. 03 VTI 8g dont know how many kms, ill ask if your interested. Ive driven a FD2 Sport, Nice car, good on fuel but you really cant do it up besides I/H/E. My friend drives a Jazz, spacy and nimble and only 45 bucks a tank.

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Door EK GLi
    WHAT? u hated your 72 torana ? was it just a stock LJ or what?
    I have UC coupe with a stock 202 in it but I can't say I hate driving it, bloody love it *besides the fuel cost of course*
    Once i get a fresh 308 in there i will more than love it.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic
    @ V8KLLR - 03 VTI sounds perfect. I am in Perth, where is your friend and their car.
    Unfortunately though, 8g is a little more than I have to spend

@ Chriskoss - my 2 torana was not pretty! It was $500 bomb and I felt like I was driving a tank. My dad chose it and I think he felt safer thinking of me inside tonnes of indestructible metal! I chose the civic myself and instantly fell in love. Pity I crashed the first one, so perhaps my dad had a point lol. But no-one was hurt and the engine at least was resurrected.

Oh dude Perths a journey lol. They car is in Sydney Fairfield. Oh wells, enjoy Ozhonda!