Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    mate u hv got heaps knowledge on audio setup!!
    i m thinking to get a slimline sub like this from ebay
    wt do u reckon? are they easy to install?
    like do i need to power it up directly from the battery?

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by dc292177917 View Post
    mate u hv got heaps knowledge on audio setup!!
    i m thinking to get a slimline sub like this from ebay
    wt do u reckon? are they easy to install?
    like do i need to power it up directly from the battery?
    If you ask me, I'd say no (to Fusion at least). You could check Repco, there you could hear their ProLonear active subs, they're also not my style but at least should be better than Fusion... and yes, if you get one, it needs power straight from battery, since all other cables in the car are way too thin for powering up any amp, even such a small one...

Member Array
    Car:
    Del Sol
    yea i know wt u mean mate but i hv no other alternatives...
    i m hving a del sol which there's no space to put a sub in the cabin,
    meanwhile the trunk is totally isolated from the cabin so putting a sub in the trunk is pretty useless fml...
    i m not looking those bass that would turn ppl's head but at least i want sth better than wt a 6" coaxial could do lol

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by dc292177917 View Post
    yea i know wt u mean mate but i hv no other alternatives...
    i m hving a del sol which there's no space to put a sub in the cabin,
    meanwhile the trunk is totally isolated from the cabin so putting a sub in the trunk is pretty useless fml...
    i m not looking those bass that would turn ppl's head but at least i want sth better than wt a 6" coaxial could do lol
    I just did a little research on del Sol with Gooogle... The only thing interesting I found was this. I've never seen that car's inside but it looks like there is not really much space in the cabin . It would be a very interesting project/challenge to pimp your car with a proper sound system. Do you have ANY space behind the seats? Or under the seats? Or maybe the passenger leg room? Or what about glove box space? Those are all possibilities where to stick a sub. These days there are lot of flat subwoofers that don't need much space, like the Pioneer 10''.
    With fiberglass, effort and imagination it would be a breeze to make something out of it!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK civic
    I think with a del sol there is enough room for a small amp (mono/ bridged 2ch) under or behind each seats, as well as room for a flat sub (they really dont need much room/ litreage for the box) plus those flat subs wont require massive power and hence massive sized amp to get them going. If you look on caraudioasutralia.com there are a few MR2's/ convertibles who have put subwoofers into their cabin.

Wixxer I'm really enjoying the progress and work put into this set up and the great selection of quality of gear as well!! With the fibreglassing, you mentioned knowing how many layers you have done in which area? Maybe if you leat each layer dry before applying the next (would take ages or even before you start putting new layers down the next day) you could give it a quick once over with a paint can so for e.g today I did 2 layers (thats blue) the next day you only have time for 1 (so you paint it red (then you can see if you you have parts with 3 layers or 2 etc) if you know what I mean.. for some reason I think I've made that sound complicated.. hmmm haha

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Thanks capita, sounds like a good idea with paint . Now that I'm a "bit more into it" (since this is my first project with fiberglass) and I learned how much resin can I mix and use without having it harden in a can (300ml), I realised I can do half a surfice with one mix. So I'm doing bottom half first, then mix again and do the top half. So far I've got about four layers on, but it still needs 2-3 more I reckon. It's already pretty hard and stiff, but not enough... Hopefully this weekend I can start sanding and filling it...

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    alright, a little update, but no pics tonite, it's not so interesting anyway... finished fibreglassing on the front of the sub enclosure, got at least 6 layers everywhere. It's still drying atm, but I think it's going to be anough. Tommorow filling the low areas and around the openings, then maybe anotherlayer ober it, maybe not, will see... afterwards it's gonna be measuring the volume and fibreglassing the rear (through sub opening), that's gonna be fun...
    Shame there is not more response to this thread, maybe not interesting enough? Well, for the few of you guys watching it, I'll keep up posting the progress...
    cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    del sol/cbr250r
    I'm watching it keep up with the updates :P

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by sxmachine View Post
    I'm watching it keep up with the updates :P
    Thanks mate, will do

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    as promised, here's the update!
    did enough for the day... spent about 3kg of body filler, hope it's gonna be good... here are some pics for my fans

sanded fiberglass with p36 paper to rough it up a little

after app 3kg of 3M fibre reinforced body filler

this is how it's gonna sit in the boot...

still enough space to the boot hinge...

just in case you want to see the exterior, it's all stock

and of course the new HU is in it's place

thanks for watching and comments, they're very welcome

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    sry to steal ur thread, but i'm soon looking at getting a sub for my car - i've currently got an aftermarket head unit installed, and i think all the speakers have been changed (pretty good 6x9's at the back)

Anywya i'm looking for some bass punch - should i get a proper amp or just a monoblock? What sort of power ratings should i be looking at?

or could my 6x9's be underpowered? (they do pack quite a bit of bass if i ahve the volume high, but the treble kills my ears to get that bass)

Member Array
    Car:
    '99 Civic GLI
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    sry to steal ur thread, but i'm soon looking at getting a sub for my car - i've currently got an aftermarket head unit installed, and i think all the speakers have been changed (pretty good 6x9's at the back)

Anywya i'm looking for some bass punch - should i get a proper amp or just a monoblock? What sort of power ratings should i be looking at?

or could my 6x9's be underpowered? (they do pack quite a bit of bass if i ahve the volume high, but the treble kills my ears to get that bass)
    That's alright mate, just steal it
    It would be awesome if you tell us what HU and what speakers you've got. Are the front coaxes or compos? (I reckon they're coaxes, otherwise you'd mention it). Also, what car does it go in? How much space do you want to sacrifice? All that sort of stuff...
    Whatever they are, they're almost certainly underpowered, as ANY HU produces 4x15Watt RMS at most. And yes, forget about 4x50 what you read on the package, that's max peak power, has nothing to do with "real world", sorry.
    So, imho you should get yourself a sub and an amp to match. Amp should be a 4 channel. Channels 1+2 will power up your front speakers, channels 3+4 will in bridged mode power up your sub. Most amps will in bridged mode accept only 4 ohm load, so your sub should be a 4 ohm sub. Dont worry if amp produces "too much power (RMS)" for the given sub, thats better then having not enough power fed to it.
    As for your rear 6x9's, best thing is to sell them on ebay or alike, and invest the money in the amp and sub. But if you have to have them, they can run off the HU, but set them up not too loud. Remember, you want to hear music in front of you, not behind you!
    Another VERY important thing if you want to have a half way good sound is SOUND DEADENING at least your doors and your boot!!!!! This can't be repeated too often, as it's CRUCIAL for a good sound in your car!!!!! Remember also this: All the music you hear when standing next to your car, IS MISSING INSIDE!!!
    Wish you luck, if you need more info, or have questions, just ask, I'll help where I can