Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to change your oil/oil filter

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To change your oil and oil filter - process the same for most cars.

Required: 1. pan or bucket for oil. 2. Oil, i use royal purple 5L. 3. New oil filter, Honda - b0712, or get an aftermarket one from Autobarn. 4. Rag to clean any spillages. 5. Rough sand paper. 6. 17mm wrench. 7. Car jack or what would be better is a car ramp from Supercheap or something. You have to get right under your engine so a standard car jack wont do. 8. Funnel

Steps: 1. Prepare, grab all the stuff you need first, then jack your car up to an appropriate height so you can have access to: under the intake manifold, and next to the bottom of your headers...

2. Your oil pan is located underneath your car right next to where your headers join. Pic below. Firstly take your bucket and place it under the oil pan. Get your 17mm wrench and undo the bolt/oil plug on the oil pan, a little strength might be needed. Once the oil has drained... PUT THE BOLT/OIL PLUG BACK IN. you don't wanna forget that. Make sure when you put the oil plug back in you don't thread it, don't over-tighten it.

3. Once you've put the plug back in you can take the oil filter off, special oil filter wrench is only needed if the filter is on super tight. From under the engine you will have to reach up for the filter, its right under the intake manifold. What i do is get some rough sand paper, wrap it around the filter for grip and then unscrew it. Works every-time for me. Hold the filter steady, oil may dribble down when you take it out.

Sorry its a lame pic... this is the intake manifold from above, see the little blue thing? Thats where the oil filter sits.

4. Now get your new filter, put some oil around the gasket of your new filter so its lubed well when you put it on, this is important. Screw the new filter on nice and tight, not too tight though. Over tighten and youll have a hard time getting it off. When the gasket comes in contact with the block turn 3/4. If your uncertain refer to the instructions on your filter

5. After all previous steps are complete, grab your funnel, open the oil cap located on your valve/rocker cover and pour 4litres of oil in. Occasionally check your dip stick to see the oil level.

6. Put your oil cap back on and start your car. See if there are any leakages anywhere under the car to make sure you've put everything in right.

Other comments: Any questions feel free to ask.

Also if your not sure on what to do with your used oil check out this thread:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-dump-used-oil!
    Last edited by jeremydawg; 23-02-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Needs more time... Array
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremydawg View Post
    4. Now get your new filter, put some oil around the gasket of your new filter so its lubed well when you put it on, this is important. Screw the new filter on nice and tight now.
    Only note is not to over tighten. Otherwise you'll have a hard time getting it off. Turn till hand tight and then give it a quarter turn (from memory)
    Got a question? Check out the FAQ - http://www.ozhonda.com/go/faq

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    3/4 turn once gasket comes in contact with the block. instructions are on OEM filters

Quote Originally Posted by wynode View Post
    Only note is not to over tighten. Otherwise you'll have a hard time getting it off. Turn till hand tight and then give it a quarter turn (from memory)
    Yeah your right, over tighten and youll be buying a filter wrench. thanks mate. Ill add that in.

3/4 turn once gasket comes in contact with the block.
    instructions are on OEM filters
    yes, Correct!
    Last edited by jeremydawg; 25-01-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    I like the sand paper trick never ward of it but guess it would work pretty well
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    If sandpaper fail buy one of these

Works damn well!
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Quote Originally Posted by EG52NV View Post
    I like the sand paper trick never ward of it but guess it would work pretty well
    yeah, my old man taught me that trick. works all the time
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    buy a genuine oil filter tool

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

yeah... cheapo ones break after a couple days
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    yeah... cheapo ones break after a couple days
    Really? :P
    part time potato

Quote Originally Posted by Vvvtec View Post
    Really? :P
    what are you doin al? im tryna look like i know what im talkin about haha
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Now get your new filter, put some oil around the gasket of your new filter so its lubed well when you put it on, this is important.
    Why is it important?