Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by AusS2000 View Post
    OEM oil is anything but fine.

Honda make a whole range of FWD cars and oils to suit. The S2000 is the only RWD car they made in a quarter of a century. If you got to a Honda dealer and ask them to replace the diff oil with OEM you'll most likely get VTM-4, and a stuffed diff.

The correct lubrication for our diff is 75w90 GL5.
    What's wrong with the factory "S2000" diff oil bought by Honda? i'm curious to know, agree'd that most dealership's are useless. But the genuine oil is fine.
    CHEAP--FAST--RELIABLE = PICK ANY TWO

+1 from what I've read on s2ki the oem diff oil is great and its price is reasonable too

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000 AP1
    i got quoted $2500 for a new diff for my s2k from Honda and thats for a refurbished one not brand new

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    My spare diff will be for sale shortly. Having my diff rebuilt and reinforced and once it's ready my current diff will be spare. It is in fine condition and runs nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by pilotb777_300 View Post
    The honda rear diff fluid has been up on the shelf of just about every honda dealer I have been to. its called honda Hypoid gear oil... the spec on it is a GL-5 SAE90
    The honda dealer I go to, sells it for about 16 bucks for 1L which is all you need. I think thats a very reasonable price actually compared to what is on the market. I have never had an issue with this fluid and funnily enough my diff seems to run the quietest with it. I went through a bit of a phase a few month ago of trying to use all synthetic fluid in my car from engine to diff. I tried everything in the diff from Redline synthetics to motul and mobile 1. For some reason and maybe someone can explain this to me, I seemed to get more whine from the diff using some of the synthetic stuff mobile 1 being the loudest. The mineral honda OEM fluid almost got rid of all noise in the rear diff.
    If you are using fully Synthetic, Redline Light weight shock proof or Heavy weight shock proof should be the correct fluid. Honda rear diff are too weak and the normal 75w90 GL-5 doesn't provide enough protection under heavy launch. Should choose a heavier weight gear oil for the diff.

Last edited by trex101; 10-03-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    00' s2000
    i just finished my diff build 2 weeks ago
    cost me almost $4000
    $500 for new casing
    $800 for 4.44 final drive
    $1200 for kaaz 1.5way LSD
    $300 j's racing crush collar
    $220 for bearings
    $800 for labour and build including balance and backlash adjustment
    the car feels insane now with the kaaz lsd and reacts very differently around corners.
    definantly a mod i highly recommend
    the oil im using is a 90w-140 full synthetic
    very thick but protects the diff like you wouldnt believe. car felt very very harsh on the standard kaaz 'wear in' oil which was i think from memory also a 75w based oil.

Quote Originally Posted by tamay_s2k View Post
    i just finished my diff build 2 weeks ago
    cost me almost $4000
    $500 for new casing
    $800 for 4.44 final drive
    $1200 for kaaz 1.5way LSD
    $300 j's racing crush collar
    $220 for bearings
    $800 for labour and build including balance and backlash adjustment
    the car feels insane now with the kaaz lsd and reacts very differently around corners.
    definantly a mod i highly recommend
    the oil im using is a 90w-140 full synthetic
    very thick but protects the diff like you wouldnt believe. car felt very very harsh on the standard kaaz 'wear in' oil which was i think from memory also a 75w based oil.
    Damn, 4k is alot of $..... thicker gear oil is definably the ticket for longer diff life span. look for the number behind the w, 90w140, 140 is the viscosity when it is hot, the number before the w is winter rating, the lower the better.

Next time you change diff oil, try the Redline smurf oil (LWSP 75w140) or the HWSP 75w250, you wouldn't regret it.

Member Array
    Car:
    327i
    I got a diff from an AP1 good working condition - $500