Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic Vti

Brown Liquid in coolant Resevoir?

Hi guys,

Could not find anything under search and I'm a nooob. This is my first post so here it goes.

I am having problems with my car. 99 Civic vti sedan. The problem is when my fan is on cool or my aircon is on, the car overheats. A little background:

- I identified that I have a coolant leak because everytime i used to put water in the coolant resevoir, it would disappear after a while (after a month). Also, it used to leave a brown residue afterwards or if I had checked it before it completely leaked, the water would be BROWN. After I found that it was leaking, I stopped putting coolant in because it would be a waste as it would just leak out.

- Initially, the mechanic flushed the coolant system out, and replaced the radiator cap with a brand new one. I thought it would be all good but it wasn't.

- Car recently started to overheat after having the aircon on for more than 30 mins. As soon as i turned it off it would cool down again.

- Seeing as I just top up the coolant with water, one day I noticed while topping up and the engine was on that steam or something was coming out of the radiator (where the cap is after you take it off). I kept putting water in (this is when the car's completely cooled down btw) but it jst continued to spout water out (just a little bit, but there was spouting).

- I checked the engine oil to see if it was creamy and it was still the same colour so thank goodness the coolant isnt leaking in there.

What could the problem be?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    Ok.

Waterdirectly in Radiator will cause holes to form...and the Radiator and its contents to go orange/brown.

Your radiator may have a block by the sounds.

How does it go with long drives vs short drives for heating?
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic Vti
    Well, yesterday it started to overheat at around 45 mins from a cold start. And I had the aircon running since the engine was on.

After a 5-6 hr break, I drove back home and after 15 mins it would start to get hot again.

I think you need to purchase a new radiator. If you flushed it and the coolant is still brownish after awhile, then the radiator might have a blockage or something or other.

Member Array
    Car:
    EP3R>AH>EK>DC2
    You may also want to look into your thermostat and if its rusted shut or not.

How many K's are on the car?
    SPAMMAPS
    Carburettor|Nation

that mikey G guy is the biggest shit talker ive ever met..
    in the space of 15minutes he sold two sets of wheels. claims a guy under the username DNT-CRY bought them!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG6
    waterpump?
    All about mango CLICK CLICK! http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-i-m-mango-%29

OH OH! and REP me if i post something useful

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    In short, brown water means rust. That's why we use coolant and not just water. I'd say get all that suit flushed out and put new coolant in. If there's a leak, I'd say that's where the rust is coming from
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic Vti
    Ahh i see....so try to detect where the leak is I guess. I'll put a cardboard box flap underneath it overnight and try to see where the leak is coming from...

Its nearly at 160,000 k right now. Going to get it serviced next week for its 160k service at Hannys. What should I tell the mechanic?

Should I start looking for a new radiator?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    99 Civic Vti
    Btw (theres a reason this is in the noob forum), but how do i locate the thermostat on a 99 Civic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=496ckFG7sk4 check that link out. There additional ones in related videos.

Once you get a hold of it, have a good look at it to see if its worn. Get a jug of boiling water and put your thermostat in it, if it opens its in good order but if its worn the get rid of it, if it doesnt then it definitely needs replacing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-CO...QQcmdZViewItem

Thats what your thermostat should look like. You've got an Ek right?

Rep me if i was helpful.
    Last edited by V8KLLR; 27-01-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    em1
    keep and eye out for your oil cap, if it starts to look creamy then it might be your headgasket. You can also check the tubes from the radiator to see if its still airtight. =]

Member Array
    Car:
    ek4ar / dc5
    yup..check for leaks, thermostat and waterpump....is your fan working btw??

worst case scenario....headgasket....

check for the cheapest solution first before spending on the headgasket....

as i have been told ...if you've been using water as your coolant for a long period of time now...keep using water unless you're gna change a new radiator....

kos coolant is acidic and can erode your radiator and might clog up you whole cooling system.....