Legal wheel size in VIC

Yo guys i've heard heaps of different things about this i just need to get it clarified...

I've got a DC4 which when i bought came with 14" steelies. I'm not sure what the width is. I think 6? Correct me if i'm wrong.

I believe the DC2 came with the option of alloy wheels (fat fives) which were 15", don't know if the width was 6" or 7".

And the rules are:

- You can only go 1" wider (but is this 1" wider than the 14" steelies or 15" alloys?)

- You can only go 15mm bigger in diameter (tyre+ wheel). How can i tell from the numbers on the wheel/tyre?

- The load rating for your tyre cannot be less than stock load rating. (where can i find stock load rating?)

Thanks for your help guys. I just wanna know how big/wide i can go.

Member Array
    Car:
    '04 Euro Lux
    im not exactly 100% sure, but i think when police look at rim/tyre sizing i think they use the placard on the door (the one that tells you what psi to use) and go from there...

i thought the actual rim width didnt matter, but rather is the width of the tires that are in question, like on my car im running a 9" wide on the rears, but with a 225 tyre, my stockies used to be a 6" wide with a 205, so im increasing the rim width by 3" but only increasing the tyre width by 20mm

to measure the diameter, you will have to convert your rim diameter to millimeters and then plus the tyre profile, which are in the middle of the tyre spec numbers i.e. 225/40/R18 the 40 means your tyre profile is 40mm so add that onto the rim diameter that has been converted to millimeters

load rating is at the end of the tyre spec numbers i.e. 225/40/R18 92W the load rating is at the 92W

Member Array
    Car:
    ES1 Turbo, EK1
    when i got pulled over once i have 17s on my civic when the OEM were 14s

one cop tried to get me for wheels 2 big but then the other said they couldnt cos its measured on rolling diameter with the tyre.

so i guess if its same or close to same specs as OEM its fine
    Car: 05' Civic Turbo Car: EK 97'
    Motor - D17 Motor - B20T
    Winton - 1:47 Winton - 1:46
    7th Gen Melbourne #1

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    quick google gives this (which it looks like you looked at):

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

"the width of any replacement rim must not be more than 25mm greater than the widest wheel specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series"

"overall diameter of replacement rim and tyre (ie. rolling diameter) must not be more than 15mm greater than the largest diameter tyre specified by the vehicle manufacturer for that model or vehicle series" ie. having low profile tyres means bigger diameter rims are ok.

it is difficult to say because you're talking about DC4 and DC2 - I don't think cops will know the difference.

in my case, the AP1 s2000 (which I have) has 7.5" wide rears, whereas the AP2 has 8.5" rears.

I'm running 9" wide rears because Honda offered an 8.5" wheel "for this model or vehicle series"

Interpreting these rules can be a bitch.

What size are you looking to get?
    Last edited by euromandeluxe; 04-02-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    stock dc4 steel rim wheel size = 14x5.5 +45 w/ 195/60 86H tyre.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    stock dc4 steel rim wheel size = 14x5.5 +45 w/ 195/60 86H tyre.
    So legally max is 16x6.5 205/xx/16 >86x yeah? Unless rims come in 17x6.5

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    dont worry too much about getting booked, heaps of bogans run 20's on there cheap commo an get away with it, so if u think running 17's is a hassle, dont worry about it...

unless ur anal about gettn dicked for rim size, than yes, what u said, is pretty on... again, dont worry about the size, unless its something ridiciolous, that sticks out, or size wise, than dont worry to much
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    2" bigger rule is a load shit.

as euromandeluxe posted its 15mm rolling diameter.

i know it cant happen but technically if you could get 22s within 15mm rolling diameter of stock you can run them.

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    2" bigger rule is a load shit.

as euromandeluxe posted its 15mm rolling diameter.

i know it cant happen but technically if you could get 22s within 15mm rolling diameter of stock you can run them.
    Yeah i know the 2" is garbage, i was referring to the width of the rim, can't go more than 1" + 5.5. Is rolling diameter same as diameter of wheel+tyre? As i posted in first post, thats all vicroads says about it, bloody insurance companies use that cryptic garbage to wriggle their way out of payin out any way they can.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    afaik it includes wheel+tyre.

some kids garage

Member Array
    17x6.5 is legal with the right tyres, any bigger or wider is illegal full stop. when u have a accident they dont really check the width of the wheels , only diameter unless ur with a gay insurance company thats picky.

i had vic roads and cops at the station to check my car and they said 17s r da max i can go from 14' stock wheels.
    so stop bitching an get it.

for dumb ****s that say 2" is da max u can go and stfu.

Hah im waitin for a nice set to pop up, cant rush into it!