Prelude 92 Speedo

The speedo on my 1992 Prelude tends to lose its way between ~ 40 to 70 kph. It seems to linger on the low side in this speed range, and then settles down once it gets above 70.

Can someone advise whether this car is likely to have a cable speedo or electronic sensor, and whether there is likely to be a simple fix (hopefully that does not involve ripping the dash out).

I expect that with GPS, I can get by without a speedo, but is a functioning speedo necessary for a RWC or passing a pit inspection.

The car is a 1992 Prelude with the F22A1 SOHC 2.2 and a manual gearbox

Thanks

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    it will have an electric speedo

the fault could be the VSS or the Speedo gauge

I know this sounds a bit vague, but I think I have a few issues that may be VSS related.

The car idles smoothly, but sometimes after a brief drive the CEL comes on, it begins to run roughly, and stalls at idle. Sometimes when this happens, the speedo needle will stick – i.e. the car is stationary but the needle is stuck on (say) 30km/h. Turn the ignition off and the needle drops – turn it back on and the needle returns to 30. Normally, after waiting a little while and restarting it settle down, the needle self-corrects and the CEL goes out.

I have read that I can reset the ECU by removing the clock fuse – is this likely to help?

I have read that I may be able to find the source of the problem by bridging the DTC terminal and counting the CEL flashes (?). Where can I find the terminal on a ’92 S.

Where can I find the VSS on a F22A1 engine. Is the VSS something that can be easily removed, cleaned and re-inserted with the hope that all ills will be cured?

My problem is that the car is unregistered so I cannot easily get it down to a garage. Observations and diagnosis are limited to idling in the drive way or a brief run to the end of the street.

Before taking it to the pits, I wanted to fix the obvious problems (such as stalling and stuck needles), but I did not want to spend vast amounts of money on new VSS and ECU, etc, in case it ends up failing on a host of other problems – I have no experience with pit inspections but I image that things could be pretty tough for a 20yr old car with a vast amount of miles.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    read this thread and follow the instructions

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...gnostics-Codes

you can find your SCS here

http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/diy/pgmfi...relude-001.jpg

Thanks for the advice ECU-MAN

How can I determine whether my car is OBDO, OBDI, or OBDII.

I recently removed the battery, and I'm wondering whether the idle issue is because I have not 're-trained' the ECU

Thanks

Car:
    twin GX160's
    92 prelude is OBDI

when your engine lamp comes on and idles rough then somting is wrong. relearning the idle isnt going to help

its a good idea to read thre ECU codes before resetting the ECU, post your results here if you wish

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    92 prelude is OBDI

when your engine lamp comes on and idles rough then somting is wrong. relearning the idle isnt going to help

its a good idea to read thre ECU codes before resetting the ECU, post your results here if you wish
    ECU-MAN,

I had reset the ECU and attempted the 'learning' before seeing your reply (although I note from your earlier link that OBDI does not require learning anyway). I then did the diagnostic check but did not get any error codes.

I risked a quick run around the block, and the car did not stall or misbehave. The CEL did not come on and the speedo did not lock although it was at times a bit jerky and sticky, and tended to hunt a bit.

While messing around, I noticed oil on the base of the distributor, so it looks like the O-ring has gone. Ran out of daylight and didn’t get a chance to look further, but I suppose oil coating the innards of the dist may contribute to rough running, but not affect ECU.

Also, after researching a periodic starting problem, I suspect my main relay needs resoldering. But, I assume that this relay only affects starting and not running – does this sound right?
    Thanks

Car:
    twin GX160's
    you may have a faulty VSS, wait for the MIL to come on again and check your ECU for code 17.

also I have seen on 92 ludes the Speedo itself fails casing wierd speed readings. there is a DIY on this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ECU-MAN View Post
    you may have a faulty VSS, wait for the MIL to come on again and check your ECU for code 17.

also I have seen on 92 ludes the Speedo itself fails casing wierd speed readings. there is a DIY on this as well.
    Thanks ECU-MAN

Yep, all of erratic behaviour, sticking, wild fluctuations, reading low etc, turned out to be the VSS