Legal way to improve headlights on base model Euro

Hi All,

I am new here as I just got a 2005 base model Euro. As you know, unlike their Luxury counterparts they don't come with HID Xenon headlights so I was after a safe and legal way to improve the headlights looks and performance.

I researched HID conversion kits but it seems they would not be legal as the Euro doesn't have auto adjustable or washers.

So my only option is to just get better bulbs without the ballasts, but would getting Xenon bulbs be legal or would I have to go for Halogen ones?

What would be your recomendations?

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    Once u modified / change the bulb to HID kit or HID halogen look alike its pratically not legal (not roadworthy) . With HID kits if installed properly and adjusted properly you should not have to worry about cops pulling you over. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by felixd View Post
    Once u modified / change the bulb to HID kit or HID halogen look alike its pratically not legal (not roadworthy) . With HID kits if installed properly and adjusted properly you should not have to worry about cops pulling you over. cheers
    So if I want a fully legal setup I need to get better halogen bulbs? Like Philips X-treme Power for example?

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    Public Transport / Foot
    Yes just get brighter yellow halogen

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '06 JDM Euro
    The best looking bulbs, that look most like HID's are Phillips Diamond Vision, but have pretty bad visibility,
    so its up to you on what you want, performance, or looks?

i've had those and they look good, with a nice blue/white look, but not too great at night, normal globes have best vision, but look horrible, and i've got a phillips 6000k hid kit now, and its awesome, but its leveled down, and not one person etc has highbeamed me or anything, and i've been driving behind of, infront of and next to cop cars.

But like Felixd said, if you level the lights correctly, you should have any issues
    Last edited by N3M3SIS; 09-02-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    2006 Euro JDM : 18' Concave Concept CC02 Rims, Coilovers, Summit Strut Bar, Voltage Stabiliser, Camber Kit, Slotted Disks, LED Lights, Phillips 6000k HID Kit, Sports Grill with CL7 Badges

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Most Euro's come with HID's so it won't look out of the ordinary. Just fit some sensibly coloured HIDs and hide the ballasts in the fenders/bumper and you'll be fine. Go with 4300K (stock) or 5000K (white). You'll be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    Most Euro's come with HID's so it won't look out of the ordinary. Just fit some sensibly coloured HIDs and hide the ballasts in the fenders/bumper and you'll be fine. Go with 4300K (stock) or 5000K (white). You'll be sweet.
    You may want to stick "fake" washer covers on the front bumper if you want it to look legit. I've been thinking of doing this, just haven't been able to find washer covers for sale (then again I haven't really looked that much).

I got pulled over for a RBT once in NSW, and they were obviously looking at my HID headlights, which were turned on. I think the only reason I got away with it is because I had Victorian rego, and I live in Canberra. So it was probably too much paperwork for them to bother lol

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    FYI Stock is much lower than 4300K.

Philips Blue Vision is probably your best/cheapest option. Its ADR approved but only 4000k.
    Anything with a higher temperature rating/bluer isnt legal.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    For halogen bulbs, you can't go wrong with either of these:

Philips X-Treme (Extreme) Power
    http://www.powerbulbs.com/philips-xt...at1=37&cat2=73

OSRAM Night Breaker PLUS
    http://www.powerbulbs.com/osram-nigh...at1=44&cat2=74

At the end of the day, it's all about visibility and safety, and safety to other drivers as well. And also to avoid potential troubles with an insurance claim if a bad thing ever happened to your car.

Even worse if you have no insurance and you had an accident against a Merc or BMW at your fault, the debt collector will chase you all the way.

Retrofitted HIDs are likely to cause glare to oncoming drivers because halogen headlight lens / reflector is not designed for it, and technically illegal although RTA has not specifically address this matter.

It may look 'cool' to some, but most other drivers would find it annoying cos of the glare due to incorrect beam pattern.

IMO to retrofit HIDs, at minimum you should get the euro luxury headlight reflector and the auto leveler too. The washers are required per ADR but I find them not so usefull unless you rarely wash your car and always drive on the dusty outback.
    Last edited by natnat; 09-02-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by natnat View Post
    For halogen bulbs, you can't go wrong with either of these:

Philips X-Treme (Extreme) Power
    http://www.powerbulbs.com/philips-xt...at1=37&cat2=73

OSRAM Night Breaker PLUS
    http://www.powerbulbs.com/osram-nigh...at1=44&cat2=74

At the end of the day, it's all about visibility and safety, and safety to other drivers as well. And also to avoid potential troubles with an insurance claim if a bad thing ever happened to your car.

Even worse if you have no insurance and you had an accident against a Merc or BMW at your fault, the debt collector will chase you all the way.

Retrofitted HIDs are likely to cause glare to oncoming drivers because halogen headlight lens / reflector is not designed for it, and technically illegal although RTA has not specifically address this matter.

It may look 'cool' to some, but most other drivers would find it annoying cos of the glare due to incorrect beam pattern.

IMO to retrofit HIDs, at minimum you should get the euro luxury headlight reflector and the auto leveler too. The washers are required per ADR but I find them not so usefull unless you rarely wash your car and always drive on the dusty outback.
    Mate, you just summed up the whole pupose of this thread. I definitly don't wanna do that will be unsafe or jeopardise my insurance policy so I will stick with just replacing the bulbs.

What do you think of BlueVision or EssantialVision though? From what I understand they are both legal. I know they won't perfrom as good as X-tremePower, but will they perfrom better than the stock ones? It's just they have white light which is an added bonus for me (yes I want the best of both worlds )

Thanks all.

Philips Crystal Visions, 4300K, comes with parkers to make a matching set. I have been running them on my 06. PM me