Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

topping up oil in car?

hey just wondering when you top up oil in a car. when do you look
    at the dipstick( do you keep on checking it after pouring oil in
    or only at the beginning) and how do you know how much oil to put in ?
    thanks

p.s. i did do a search but could only find how to drain and put oil but not how much oil etc

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    check how much you have before you pour some in. its like 500ml from the min line to the max. so just pour in like 250ml at a time. and wait for it to sink down. wait like 2mins
    most accurate to check oil wen the engine is cold. i check mine once a week in the morning every sunday
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    Go Kart
    You keep checking the dipstick.

Pour 3/4 of your engines oil capacity and then slowly fill it from there while checking the dipstick each time.

Make sure your car is in a flat surface so the measurement is accurate.
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) Y U DO DIS

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Also, check 10 mins after you top up. This lets the oil fully drain out of the engine to settle in the sump.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda
    Aren't you suppose to top up then check levels after running the engine.... since the oil will be used/circulated once it's running?

just a thought/correct me if I'm wrong

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    nahnah cos then your entire engine is all wet with oil, you can't accurately determine the level cos the dipstick will be all wet

Member Array
    Car:
    smashed crx =]
    yes u do turn it on coz you need to check how much pil you have in the sump..if u leave it cold...itl all stay in the sump and not account for the oil being spun by the engine meaning not enoguh oil...but if u measure as in top engine oil up, run for 20 seconds, wait 3 minutes then check..it will account for how much oil is being spun and in the sump which will be the correct amount ? meh upto u but i turn my engine on b4 cheking oil level so do many car dealerships

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    you know how there are 2 dots in the dip stick, in my D15 it takes about 500ml to raise fluid level from lowest dot to half way to second dot.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by najdi View Post
    yes u do turn it on coz you need to check how much pil you have in the sump..if u leave it cold...itl all stay in the sump and not account for the oil being spun by the engine meaning not enoguh oil...but if u measure as in top engine oil up, run for 20 seconds, wait 3 minutes then check..it will account for how much oil is being spun and in the sump which will be the correct amount ? meh upto u but i turn my engine on b4 cheking oil level so do many car dealerships
    Yeh, dealerships do that and when I get the car back, the oil level is about 1cm above max!
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by najdi View Post
    no idea what this is about..

as implied by aaron, all oil must be in the sump when checking oil levels. on some cars (like the s2000) the owner's manual says you must check oil level when the engine is warm (but after waiting for a few mins with the engine off). other cars require a cold check. not much difference between the 2 really.

check your facts mate!
    Last edited by euromandeluxe; 11-12-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Engine must be cold, or at least not been driving for an hour I'd say. top up in small amounts with at least 30 sec intervals to let the oil sink down to the sump. fill to exactly the MAX level (dot). check again once a week.
    -ZAMMIN-

"I know who you are, and I know if I make a formal complaint Mr. Benjamin will have to roll over and give me all your details"
    - Integra-GSi 19/11/2015

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-DA9 View Post
    Engine must be cold, or at least not been driving for an hour I'd say. top up in small amounts with at least 30 sec intervals to let the oil sink down to the sump. fill to exactly the MAX level (dot). check again once a week.
    fill in until fluid level is between 2 dots. not MAX level dot.
    some dipstick wont have anything on them, just 2 dots. lower and upper dot.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre