Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    JDM888

Exterior detail without a buff - Essential for all metalic or red cars *Pics & Video*

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim

- To get the best result of detailing a car without using a machine buff;
    - Use a safe and correct technique;
    - Protect duco from sun and oxidization; and
    - Remove light surface scratches

Required

Microfiber cloth x 3 [$5 pack of 5 from K-Mart]

Colour restore or Scratch remover Polish [$15-$20 from Supercheap Auto or Autobarn]
    For faded metalic paints i'd recomend the Maguires Colour Restore (pictured). For best results removing scratches use Maguires Scratch X

Auto-Glym Super Resin Polish [$35-$60 depending on size from Autobarn]

For one coat of each of these products plus the use of 3 microfiber towels comes to a cost of approximatly $15 - (much better than paying someone $80-120 to do it for you)

Steps

1 - Select a shaded area to polish. Remove any jewlery you wear on your wrist and tear off the tag on the microfiber cloth - We dont want to add any scratches

2 - Apply a small amount of polish (for first coat use Colour restore or scratch remover, second coat use Auto-Glym Resin Polish) as shown.

3 - Using circular motions, lightly rub the polish into the panel. Do not cake on the polish too much as it will be simply wasted and create more work to remove.

4 - Continue untill entire car is done - This will allow the polish to dry to a haze.

5 - Using a clean cloth, use circular motions to remove the polish. Using a better product like the ones mentioned above should simply dust off (I've found Auto-Glym very easy to work without compared to other brands). The following video (click image) shows me using little effort to buff off the polish. (Also note the depth in the colour of the paint)

*This picture was taken after using Colour Restore only and one coat of Auto-Glym on the bonnet.

6 - Repeat steps 2-5 to apply a second coat. As mentioned earlier I prefer Auto-Glym since it is easy to work with. It is also great value in the large bottle and is safe and great to use on carbon fiber (*I've only used on CF items with a clear coat)

A side by side before and after picture.

BEFORE AFTER

I apologise for the lack of before and after pictures. I do have some, but my iPhone doesn't take the best shot and Nat's car is pretty damn clean as it is (from repeated and regular detailing)

The biggest improvement in the car was the massive reduction in small swirl scratches. The bonnet as you can see is a lot deeper in colour. Finally the detailing brought the metalic up dramatically (see picture of the metalic below) and the pearl in the factory paint.

This sort of treatment is paramount on earlier model red Honda's as the paint is prone to oxidization (Red turning to a pinky white).

Using a machine buff if you are not experienced can be dangerous to your paint. The speed of the buff spinning creates friction on the surface which heats up and can burn your clear coat. However a machine buff polish will yeild better results when done properly.

Using clear coat friendly polish such as the Auto-Glym is safe on Wet style Carbon Fiber and can help reduce sun damage.

Applying two coats took me approx 45-60mins.

I hope this guide acts as an easy guide to help you getting your car looking at its best without spending big $ on one off details!

*Thanks Nat for letting me model your car. Now I need to do mine and our Integra!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Yup!

Simple,well layed out,should inspire others!

Top stuff.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    +1 rep,

love this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM888
    Cheers guys : )

Glad you liked it.

It's a hobby of ours and we take a lot of pride in our cars.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    1996 EK4
    My car is happy to model anytime

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    I'm glad to see some one else using the ColorX. It has done some good things for my poor Milano Red/Pink.

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM888
    Quote Originally Posted by Red_EG4 View Post
    I'm glad to see some one else using the ColorX. It has done some good things for my poor Milano Red/Pink.
    Yeah you have to use it. Well worth it. Keeps the red looking healthy.

I did the bonnet, roof and wing of my car today. It was looking a bit dull. Now it has a glass like finish!

which k mart u got the Microfiber cloth from, coz they use to have it at burwood one, but not anymore

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM888
    Kmart burwood is pretty bad these days. I get then from the cranbourne one (since I work there) or Brandon park usually has them too.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    how long does the shine last for?
    OEM parts whore

One thing i'd say.
    I detail my MR ITR reguarly... i wouldn't use secure motions....
    These CAN bring more swirlmarks to your car IMO.
    I would use up and down, side to side and angle to angle to give even and fair coverage...
    That's just my opinion..

Very well written and very well detailed im impressed.
    I generally use Turtle Wax for my integra, will be trying auto glym this weekend...
    But will see

Keep the good work up

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM888
    I would expect the shine to last a pretty long time depending on how often you wash your car - and when you do if you use a spounge, brush or just hose off etc.

You can maintain the shine using a instant detailer like "final inspection". It's great to keep in the car and is only about $15 a bottle. Takes about 10min to do the whole car - just spray on and wipe off with a microfiber cloth.

Watajk good point. I havn't had that problem but i will definatly monitor it in the future. I would imagine using a good quality cloth would reduce/stop putting swirls of your own in the paint (hence why i only use soft microfiber)

Cant go wrong with any Auto-Glym product. They have a final step which is about $60 for a small bottle. You gotta let it sit on the car for a few house. It's potent as but leaves an amazing finish. A friend does it on his black clubsport regulary and that car looks immaculate in any condition and when ever I see it lol.