Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    S15 & JDM DC2R

fuel pump issues

Ok guys kinda stumped with my dc2r fuel pump atm, basicaly my fuel pump was acting up so i decided to change it. Firstly the car already had a walbro one, i just purchased a bosch one and when i put it in the car does not start, it can hear it working when i click reds though. When i put the walbro one back in it starts, so my question is... is there some kind of wiring done to put the walbro one initialy in order to make it work that i must change?

My mechanic mate is stumped too so any help would be appreciated

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    how do you know the initial fuel pump was playing up? apply 12V direct source to test it?

check main relay. there is a DIY on here on how to re-solder dry joints in the main relay

Member Array
    Car:
    S15 & JDM DC2R
    it makes a loud whinny noise and after about a minute of driving i cant accelerate anymore, i can start the car however thats why i dont think its wiring?

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    So no you haven't tested the pump. Apply 12v direct source and listen/ see if it works. What sought of whinny noise? Most fuel pumps sound whinny

When you apply the 12v, make sure the fuel pump is submerged in fuel. Otherwise you will run it dry and it will be F'cked. Check your fuel pressure, if you don't have fuel pressure, then look if you have power at the pump(should pick up battery voltage). If you dont have either, its definatly a wiring issue. If you dont have fuel pressure, but voltage is ok then it's most likely the pump OR it could be a faulty relay somewhere. I'm not sure how the main relays work on these things yet, only had the civic for 2 weeks so haven't torn it apart yet, maybe someone can fill me in.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    the main relay contains two individual relays.

One relay is energized whenever the ignition is on which supplies battery voltage to the ECU, power to injectors, and power for the second relay.

The 2nd relay is energised for 2 seconds when the ignition is switched on, and when the engine is running which supplies power to the fuel pump.

Ahh ok, so yeah it could be that relay i suppose. So the second relay doesn't energise while it's cranking? Nice way to stop an engine flooding, honda has impressed me. =D

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    you should ensure your pump pickup is fully submerged in fuel. if you have installed the incorrect pump then the pickup wont sit corectly on the tank, and wen you get below 1/4 of a tank it wont pickup fuel

as mentioned above do a fuel pressure test to find out what is going on.

Member Array
    Car:
    S15 & JDM DC2R
    ok guys I have gone back to the walbro pump after testing that it works. So now i can start the car and drive, but after about 2 minutes of driving the pump becomes very whiny and loud and i cant accelerate at all so it stops giving fuel. If i turn the car on and off i can then drive for several minutes. I will try resoldering dry joints on the relay, wish me luck...another thing i read which came to my attention because my car was in a hit and run about a month ago at a carpark (only back bumper was hit) that after a crash theres fuel pump inhibit switch that turns off?
    Last edited by Eze; 16-02-2011 at 04:37 PM.

Fuel cut inhibitor will cause the car to not run the pump at all. Dont think it would be that. Try resoldering the relay as these guys suggested, because it doesn't cost anything. Then, test your fuel pressure. Walbro pumps are generally noisy.

Also could be a possible problem with an oxy sensor. Sounds like it could be running fine in open loop mode, but when it goes closed loop its failing due to the sensor. Not sure how hard the o2 sensor is to get at, but try disconnecting that and running.

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    your car wont have a fuel pump inhibitor switch

Member Array
    Car:
    S15 & JDM DC2R
    so ive tried resoldering the relay and still the same issue. car drives fine until its warm then starts bogging and fuel pump get VERY loud as i u can hear it from across the road (dont think walbro fuel pumps are meant to be that loud, it never was had it for a year now). Will try to disconnect o2 sensor when i find it lol