Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC5

Improving DC5 performance (Automatic)

I drive an automatic Honda Integra DC5 Base (Yep its an auto, I'm a P plater flame me later) and I notice at times it can be a bit sluggish - though today may have been due to the heat and high air con on. It was purchased used, stock and recently serviced ..what can I do to enhance performance to the best of an automatic DC5's ability? I'm not looking for "race performance" I just want to get the most out of it. Thanks!

You've lost alot of power just by it being auto. Ive driven my friends DC5 Luxury. It was very disappointing. With a manual transmission you have alot more control.
    Basic things you can do to gain more power are I/H/E.
    Intake, headers and exhaust. Purchase a CAI [Cold Air intake] avoid SRI [Short ram intake] because the CAI sucks in colder air as it isnt located within the engine bay. The SRI is basically an esposed pod filter where your airbox would be and is vulnerable to heat soak. Colder air, the particles are more dense and compact, so more air particles. Hot air the air particles move away from eachother, so lesser air particles. Injen is a brand of CAI you can look up. But be wary of hydrolock, thats when alot of water enters your engine through your intake, and damages the internals. Through things suck as flooded roads or large puddles.

Headers or extractors. These extract the exhaust gases from your car. The quicker they can exit the engine the better. 4-2-1 headers were the four exhaust ports merge into two, then one are good for mid range power. 4 to 1 headers are good at top end power, but at the cost of low range grunt. You can have then ceramic coated to trap heat escaping into the engine bay, but its kinda unneccessary if you have a CAI. I wouldnt recommend heat wrapping, I've heard of headers getting warped. This is second hand info.

Last is exhaust. You want a exhaust probably around the 2.25 -2.5 inch mark in diameter the whole way through. Mandrel bent [picture a smooth curvature in the pipe because an exhaust just doesnt go out in a straight line to the canon, you can get an exhaust like that called a straight pipe. But it is REALLY LOUD and cops will get you.] + high flow cat .You need a cat because this neutralises harmful gasses in your exhaust. Not running one of these will get you into trouble. The material should also be taken into consideration. Stainless steel the way to go. With all this your car should rumble and roar at a nice note and your Vtec with the CAI should scream louder. But dont be expecting landslide results. You will get results but you'll be lucky to get 15 kw increase, I think.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    sell up

buy dc5r/s
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Oh yea forogt to mention look up Timmy_B here on Ozhonda I think thats his name but he has a DC5 and is working it up aswell. Made some very good progress so far.

u can do wht v8klla tells you, but u can also try to take out as much weight as u can from the car, maybe space saver, rear seat. but if u dont want to spend 200 for the intake just for a little bit of performance then i think 2.0 liter engine is not for u.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    I think the fact that it is a stNdard automatic is a drawback. I drive both a dc5 type s, and a automatic
    Luxury version. My suggestion is to not spend a cent on the dc5 as its really a waste being automatic. I've driven the luxury kinda hard ar royal national park, its not that excited, plus it was raining but anyways, if you really like the dc5, maybe consider a manualncobversion. As above, definately check out timmy B's build thread, he has a nice build and im sure it give a few grins to him when driving.

As a mod, maybe consider putting in solid mounts for a bettee drover feedback feel? Also, the dc5 is known for having weak engine mounts, i put hasports in my type s. I reckon a cai, coilovers and solid mounts are the bwst mods to enjoy the dc5( this is comming
    From a manualcar standpoint though)

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    On second thoughts, a coilover system that allows you to lower it considerably will give
    You looks and alot better handling.

Its an auto so it cannot ever be more powerful , nor should the poster bother trying.

Sorry mate. You drive a auto because you are lazy , not for performance !
    Nothing you can do to make it more powerful. Enjoy it as standard and get a manual as your next car.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    why didnt you just get a manual in the first place?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyvv View Post
    (Yep its an auto, I'm a P plater flame me later) !
    i think he's saying there are new rules which say p platers can't drive manuals now??? not sure tho but being a p plater is a good excuse for not driving a manual.

not to be rude though, but u should have just done your manual licence. when you're working up those 100 hours driving a manual car it just feels like the norm so it becomes a peice of cake.
    practice practice practice. really simple

though if youre family didn't have any manual cars to practice on it's a bit udnerstandable because u wouldnt want to be paying $30-$50 x100 to drive the instructors manual car
    NHB DC2R

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Its an auto so it cannot ever be more powerful , nor should the poster bother trying.

Sorry mate. You drive a auto because you are lazy , not for performance !
    Nothing you can do to make it more powerful. Enjoy it as standard and get a manual as your next car.
    haters gonna hate

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    Quote Originally Posted by KC. View Post
    i think he's saying there are new rules which say p platers can't drive manuals now??? not sure tho but being a p plater is a good excuse for not driving a manual.

not to be rude though, but u should have just done your manual licence. when you're working up those 100 hours driving a manual car it just feels like the norm so it becomes a peice of cake.
    practice practice practice. really simple

though if youre family didn't have any manual cars to practice on it's a bit udnerstandable because u wouldnt want to be paying $30-$50 x100 to drive the instructors manual car
    they need to know if its manual or auto in nsw when filling out log book?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.