Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1989 Prelude

A-Pillar gauge mounting?

Can anyone confirm what the relevant legislation is on this? So far I have found that as long as it doesnt interfere with my forward field of vision I cant mount whatever I like 'outside' of my vehicle in terms of position, however I have varying reports on mounting them on the A pillar.

If someone can give me the relevant law/reg from vicroads that would be great.

I have a universal triple gauge moulded mount which attaches to my A pillar but would prefer to sell that prior to using it and mounting gauges if it means I am just going to have to remove it if/when I get defected.

Cheers
    4WS - Because they don't aim speed camera's at corners....

Member Array
    gauge must be lower than ur dash. above ur dash is full stop illegal and u will get pin 4 it. even gps on pillar or windscreen which is high enough is a defect.
    been der done it.

^ he's right.

but i find youll get away with it, it doesn't obstruct your forward vision.

that being said, if the cop is in a dickish mood, and cant find anything else, hell probably find it.

but i think you'll be fine, as long as it doesnt stick out much, which i doubt, dont forget to turn off your car when you get pulled over aswell so they're not shining aswell!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteLude View Post
    Can anyone confirm what the relevant legislation is on this? So far I have found that as long as it doesnt interfere with my forward field of vision I cant mount whatever I like 'outside' of my vehicle in terms of position, however I have varying reports on mounting them on the A pillar.

If someone can give me the relevant law/reg from vicroads that would be great.

I have a universal triple gauge moulded mount which attaches to my A pillar but would prefer to sell that prior to using it and mounting gauges if it means I am just going to have to remove it if/when I get defected.

Cheers
    I have 2 gauges on my A-Pillar, no dramas with them touch wood.
    Major defect if theres no sandwitch plate between the gauges lines due to the fact you wouldn't want HOT oil bursting in your car.
    Minor defect if there IS a sandwtich plate & the gauges are electronic.

Drive with no fear, don't worry about a defect and you'll be fine trust me..
    The more you worry about it, the more likely you'll get a fine, trust me.

When you get pulled over regarding them, be nice, courtious and polite, always works... Been there, done that.

But yes, highly illegal, make sure you have a sandwitch plate, i've heard of horror stories with oil spraying on people..

Member Array
    Car:
    1989 Prelude
    Thanks people! Sandwich plate will be being used Watajk, that's for sure.
    that being said, if the cop is in a dickish mood, and cant find anything else, hell probably find it.
    I hear ya. The forward vision rule is fairly easy to adhere to, and I cant see how a gauge is any different in that sense to a hood scoop, aerial, or any other item that is added to a vehicle - but I am sure that if I get the right officer he will be happy to explain why I am wrong and give me a sticker.

Does anyone know what the actual place to find the regulation so I can have a look at it? I have trawled through vicroads and national road website but cant find anything related directly to this.

I know this has happened to many people with gauges mounted above the dash, but apart from the excuse of saying it will cause an issue during an impact (which adding mirrors to your car will also but is legal) i cant find any legislation directly to the illegailty of of it.
    4WS - Because they don't aim speed camera's at corners....

Member Array
    dude any sht above ur dash is a defect. stop trying to fight it coz u wont win, cops will always win and rape u.

u wont find any info about them gauges on vic roads.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhiteLude View Post
    Thanks people! Sandwich plate will be being used Watajk, that's for sure.

I hear ya. The forward vision rule is fairly easy to adhere to, and I cant see how a gauge is any different in that sense to a hood scoop, aerial, or any other item that is added to a vehicle - but I am sure that if I get the right officer he will be happy to explain why I am wrong and give me a sticker.

Does anyone know what the actual place to find the regulation so I can have a look at it? I have trawled through vicroads and national road website but cant find anything related directly to this.

I know this has happened to many people with gauges mounted above the dash, but apart from the excuse of saying it will cause an issue during an impact (which adding mirrors to your car will also but is legal) i cant find any legislation directly to the illegailty of of it.
    dude anything that isn't ADR approved is illegal to let you know =)
    Want it to be legal? Get a engineer to sign off on it. Done.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    doesnt mean shit, can and will still get deffected even with an eng cert^

someone make this guy red
    Last edited by renzokukenj; Today at 12:34 AM. Reason: hehe

Quote Originally Posted by u mad? View Post
    doesnt mean shit, can and will still get deffected even with an eng cert^

someone make this guy red
    what u on dude...
    engineer certficate makes that modification on your car comply to ADR standards which means when you go to vicroads with that defect, they will just laugh at it and remove it.
    Any fines that you had been given are removed against your name. Seen it happen with my mates S15

Member Array
    spot on about getting it cleared straight away, but theres no chance of engineering gauges on pillar. wont happen.

main point is jsut engineer engine swaps or mods on it.

Quote Originally Posted by honda_zivic View Post
    spot on about getting it cleared straight away, but theres no chance of engineering gauges on pillar. wont happen.

main point is jsut engineer engine swaps or mods on it.
    Correct.. No-one will engineer gauges on the A-pillar lol..
    JDM S15 causes with that as factory though yummy... lol

Member Array
    my cuzin has a jdm s15, and cops told him to removed the factory gauges hahaha.

dont the importers removed the gauges on the pillar to compliy with adr to get RWC and then put it back on for ya?.lol
    mates told me.