Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6.5" Coaxials Recommendation

Not really after splits, so what do you guys recommend? I'll be running them through 4x18 RMS head unit but prepared to buy a cheap 4 channel if needed. Some which I've been looking at... (budget is around $150 a pair)

JL Audio VR650-CXi
    Polk Audio DB651
    Re Audio RE6.5
    Boston Acoustics SR60
    CDT CL-6EX
    Digital Designs 6.5" CX Series

If anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to share. Thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    ED9 CRX
    Think you will find that most of us will try to swing your decision to get some splits... dont think that you will notice much difference between the models you have listed while being powered from the HU.

Dont skimp on a cheap amp if you decide to go that way, best investment for an audio upgrade is a good set of front speakers and good quality 2ch amp

Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by NightKids View Post
    Not really after splits, so what do you guys recommend? I'll be running them through 4x18 RMS head unit but prepared to buy a cheap 4 channel if needed. Some which I've been looking at... (budget is around $150 a pair)

JL Audio VR650-CXi
    Polk Audio DB651
    Re Audio RE6.5
    Boston Acoustics SR60
    CDT CL-6EX
    Digital Designs 6.5" CX Series

If anyone has any other recommendations please feel free to share. Thanks

get em. i got jls 5.25" in the rear quarter panel eg. never distorts.

I've heard the JL splits at JB Hi Fi and they do sound pretty good. They got great clarity, the only thing stopping me from getting the JLs is because these are made in China & not US.

Also I think that it may lack of bit of mid bass?

Member Array
    if u want mad bass speakers, get digital designs, im getting 1 as well but in 6x9. ideal is look at the back of the speaker, if it has big magnets then its gonna pound deep bass.

i also recommend eclipse, rockfords, and mayb alpines but not type S they are purely shitness.

Yeah I wouldn't mind coming and having a listen when you get em' in !

However 6x9's is just..... eww?

Member Array
    whats wrong wit 6x9?

Hmm pretty well documented. Audiophiles worst nightmare!

Member Array
    Car:
    '01 WRX
    whats wrong with Alpine Type S? 240 watt max 80 wrms they sound good.
    and 6*9 = pointless if you have a sub
    OVERRATED TO BE UNDERRATED

LOLNOPE!

Member Array
    Car:
    eg civic
    6x9s will be louder then most 6.5s but no where near as clear imo. btw id invest in a amp first before u get speakers because with that power they are almost all gonna sound the same. and like gadget said get splits lol ive got splits all round never looked backed

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic EK
    heard some good stuff from polk, JL and DD are good too (y)

imo save up and get some splits and a quality amp but if you cant then atleast get an amp with the coaxials

as 2MPRS said you're not gonna tell much difference between any of the speakers while getting it powered up by the headunit

If you are adamant on running them off the head unit, then go for a pair of coaxials with a very high sensitivity rating (>90db/watt).

The higher the sensitivity, the more the speaker can do with the little power that the head unit provides.

I would strongly recommend though that you get an amp to run your front speakers. It will make a world of difference to the mid range response and speaker performance, particularly at mid to high listening volumes.

Even a cheap $100 amp is going to provide much more clean power compared to your head unit.

In relation to coaxial choice (assuming you won't go with splits), I suggest you take your favourite CD to a car audio place that stocks a few of the speakers you're interested in. Play your CD back to back on each speaker and choose the sound that best suits you.