Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R

How do I remove top nut from suspension?

The Problem: The hole where you put the Allen key in to stop the strut from moving is stripped...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Air tools. You will need an impact wrench to get it off. If you have it out of the car just head down to your local friendly mechanic and ask them to take it off.

please use spring compressors if doing the above - put them on but JUST grip the current compressed spring. This will hold against the upper 14mm nut and keep it held (not spinning) and also will hold the spring once the nut is loose !

Vice grips.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    please use spring compressors if doing the above - put them on but JUST grip the current compressed spring. This will hold against the upper 14mm nut and keep it held (not spinning) and also will hold the spring once the nut is loose !
    I'm confused, how does this solve the problem that the centre strut is turning with the 14mm top nut because the Allen key is no longer holding it still? Yeah I got spring compressors, I managed to change 3 springs before the Allen key hole on the 4th strut gave way...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Jazz R
    Oh I forgot to add, the nut is half way off, it got stuck at the top of the thread which is when the Allen key hole gave way...
    ALLIGATORS GOT A GATE

Now my suggestion is even better.
    I have signatures turned off

Member Array
    Car:
    MY08 WRX G3
    what string said, use a small vicegrip. clamp it somewhere under the nut on the main rod.
    then undo the 14mm

I can't remember how the suspension is structured again.........

haven't touched it in a while, there is the double nut technique.