Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra

Smaller Radiator (half size), any disadvantiges?

Hey folks,

I'm keen on getting a half size aftermarket radiator for my B18C2 Integra. Reason being is because of the new headers I want to fit, will not fit because the fans are on the way. That means, spending $200 for 2 slim fans, and another $200 for wiring them up, that was a rough figure, it could be more.

So I was wondering, even though the there are radiators half the size, is it better than my oem radiator? Would it still keep the the car to run cool in longer trips? Any disadvantiges?

Picture example

Any other alternatives appart from buying new radiator? I've thought of trimming my oem fans, but it would still not fit.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, EK4
    i ran that radiator in my teg, didn't last more than 2 laps before i had to cool it down. also had heating issues whilst running aircon during summer.

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    Um, fans are 2 wires each, more like $5 for crimp connectors and heatshrink and $5 for a crimping tool if you havent got one already. You are about right for a pair of good quality slim fans at $200
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by mooshie View Post
    Um, fans are 2 wires each, more like $5 for crimp connectors and heatshrink and $5 for a crimping tool if you havent got one already. You are about right for a pair of good quality slim fans at $200
    I wish man ,

999 Automotive, 101 motorsport, Hi-power racing, B-rad preformance, all said no I can't use my oem wiring, I have to re-wire the whole thing because these fans have different voltage, and current readings and the oem wires dont suit it.
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Hey man,

I thought you can just cut a notch out of the plastic on the stock radiator?
    part time potato

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by Vvvtec View Post
    Hey man,

I thought you can just cut a notch out of the plastic on the stock radiator?
    Hey Alexzexxezexy ,

Thats what I thought aswell, then the guy who works at the exhaust shop showed me that it won't be possible.
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Haha Well that's weird, I always thought the plastic could be chopped away!
    part time potato

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2-PWR View Post
    I wish man ,

999 Automotive, 101 motorsport, Hi-power racing, B-rad preformance, all said no I can't use my oem wiring, I have to re-wire the whole thing because these fans have different voltage, and current readings and the oem wires dont suit it.
    Its just 2 wires. Just cut the old one off and solder to new one or plug terminals.

Full length radiator generally will have better cooling as theres more surface area to air, particular to the oncoming air. On the street a half size will work fine, plus with this you have the added advantage of the fan drawing air through the whole radiator instead of just half the side of a full size radiator.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Thank you Deano!!!!!!!!!! Man I owe you my life.

Great news guys, my header is on YAAAY. All thanks to me
    teamGROUNDzero

Umm I think I know which headers you're getting, the RMF replicas. I just had them installed and I told the exhaust guy to shave my radiator and he did it perfectly, no extra charge. You shouldn't be paying like a few hundred bucks on slim radiators. If you'd like a pic just shoot me a PM. =)

Member Array
    Car:
    BREEZE
    Show us all! Id like to see this, as I'm contemplating a set of these headers too. And I knew it could be don't by shaving the plastic shroud!
    part time potato

haha when i first told the exhaust guy to do it he sounded hesistant but then I threw in the "apparently any competent exhaust place can do it" then he just got all determined and shaved it nicely...

Remind me tomorrow cause i'm not running out there right now in the cold! Plus it's dark anyway, prefer natural lighting.. haha