Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    MY01' S2000

Preventing Soft Top Wear/Tear

g'day all,

i just want to inform you guys that i have just purchased a new soft top with glass rear window and defroster from the US for my 01 S, and atm, awaiting delivery. I was wondering what measures have you guys taken to prevent the wear and tear/rubbing that usually occurs between the soft top and the frame. I am replacing the roof due to current tears and i am just trying to safeguard this top from replicating the same damage over time.

any suggestions?

Member Array
    Car:
    ex s2000
    Quote Originally Posted by YLDS2K View Post
    g'day all,

i just want to inform you guys that i have just purchased a new soft top with glass rear window and defroster from the US for my 01 S, and atm, awaiting delivery. I was wondering what measures have you guys taken to prevent the wear and tear/rubbing that usually occurs between the soft top and the frame. I am replacing the roof due to current tears and i am just trying to safeguard this top from replicating the same damage over time.

any suggestions?
    as i can see my year 2000 soft top is heading your way,can you tell me where are you getting yours from the us and are you getting it for a good price? ta. tay.

I would assume its just general wear / tear.
    Just prevent from opening and closing too often for no reason, park car in shade and away from harsh weather.

Maybe theres some chemical to help condition the fabric or soemthing? shrugs

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    you can get some foam or other soft material and wrap it around the bits of the frame that rub against the top to slow down the wear - search on s2ki

aerospace 303 to protect from UV and keep it looking black (if you ordered a vinyl roof)

Member Array
    Car:
    MY01' S2000
    yeah i've looked into something to wrap the frame and i think its going to be the tape tennis players use on they're racquets. I've sourced it and its only going to be a couple of bucks from goldcross cycles or a tennis store. my only concern is to make sure the material i use is not going to be abrasive and cause more damage then what i am trying to prevent. i might post up some pics of how i do things.

i've used aerospace 303 before and love it. do u think it would be ok to use on a stayfast cloth top?

i ordered my roof off e-bay for $650 shipped to my door and that is for a stayfast cloth with glass window and defroster. if u want the link pm me
    Last edited by YLDS2K; 08-03-2011 at 11:06 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Aerospace is only good for vinyl. 303 make another product like a scotch guard Which I believe has a uv protectant in it also

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    This would be great for a cloth roof, other alternative is look into what BMW or Porsche use on their cloth soft tops

Member Array
    Car:
    1999 s2000
    i stuck another patch of marine vinyl over the areas that rub.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k, bb6
    i always keep my roof open. like 95%+ of the time. agree with the aerospace 303.

also ive got like this sock thing that was made to wrap around the frame on either side where it comes into contact with soft top and at the point of where it comes into contact with the soft top, there is black tape, so it rubs against that if/when it rubs.
    僕の名前はTony です。

I need a new car....lol

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    You'd probably better off getting one of those fibreglass hard tops to be honest.

You can get one from the states for less than $1000. and just take it off if you want to get some skin cancer :-P
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k, bb6
    didnt buy a s2000 to then get a hardtop. bought a convertible for that exact reason, being a convertible!
    僕の名前はTony です。

I need a new car....lol

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2k, bb6
    unless u wanna buy a hardtop for us, we wouldnt refuse but gettin off topic.
    僕の名前はTony です。

I need a new car....lol