Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    eg

d16y4 into eg? doable?

d16y4 to eg problems guides?

Hey guys,
    I've got a eg already converted to efi but had a blown engine, and another eg d15b4 also blown engine.
    I've come to find a cheap d16y4 from the ek and would like to know if it would be a straight bolt on or any mods would be required.
    Any help would be appreciated would be looking to so it really soon
    Thanks in advance.

not straight bolt in. Ive done it a few times - you need a donor D15b7 or d16y1 engine for OBD1 parts ! What is the EFI engine in it (that is blown) ?

you will need a OBD1 SOHC dizzy , inlet manifold + throttle body , ICAV and FITV, water lines at the back of the block etc - you can literally take all this off another SOHC OBD1 engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg
    ive got a donor d15b4 and d16a8
    will this help?

Member Array
    Car:
    eg
    Anyone?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by kr4zie View Post
    ive got a donor d15b4 and d16a8
    will this help?
    D15B4 is carb so pretty much useless for the replacement.

D16A8 is EFI and DOHC but non-VTEC.

Honda ZC

Honda

Rover

D16Y4 is possible as are all D Series. Might require a bit of planning but not too difficult.

Here's some info I found:

"The ZC was a group of Honda engines for the Japanese market. There were several kinds of ZC. There is the brown top ZC (similar to D16A1), which only bolts into the 84-87 Civic/CRX, and not into the 88-91 Civic/CRX. Then there are the black top ZCs. These include the DOHC ZC, the SOHC ZC (similar to a D16A6), and the SOHC VTEC ZC (similar to a D16Z6). There is a common misconception that the DOHC ZC came in 88-89 Integras. THE ZC IS NOT AN INTEGRA ENGINE. The DOHC ZC is SIMILAR to the D16A1 Integra engine but it is by no means the same. D16A1 engines WILL NOT bolt into the 88-91 Civic/CRX chassis, it will howeever bolt into a 84-87 Civic/CRX if you have one of those. Also the DOHC ZC does not have VTEC. There was a SOHC ZC with VTEC but the DOHC never had VTEC. If you want DOHC + VTEC get a B16A.

D16A8 (and D16A9) engines are essentially ZCs from the non-USDM market. They come from European Civic, CRX, and Concerto from around 88-91 (possibly even later in Concertos), as well as Rover 216/416 GTI (rebadged Concerto) from around 89-96-ish. They are identical in almost every way to the Japanese market ZC, same horsepower, same torque. The engines from Honda cars look identical to the ZC, while the engines installed in Rovers have a distinctive striped valve cover (without any Honda branding), a white timing belt cover, and may come standard with a 4-1 or 4-2-1 exhaust manifold. As far as i can tell, they're probably ~122-130hp, at least in the stock Rover setup. The difference between 122 and 130 seems to be down to the different header designs used in different models and in different years (and possibly different markets). I suppose the cat. and ECU also play a part in the difference. Another difference worth mentioning, the D16A9 was designed to be run without a catalytic converter. From what I understand of Honda’s specs for the engine, it has lower compression (9.1:1)than the ZC (9.6:1)and A8 (9.5:1), yet produces the same hp because it lacks a cat. It only makes sense that running this engine with a cat will not produce the same power. One potential bonus to finding an A8/A9 from a Rover is that it could be up to 8 years newer than a JDM ZC or EDM Honda A8/A9.

hope this helps you,

Peter
    Last edited by jdm_b16a; 15-03-2011 at 10:55 AM.
    Still here. Still kickin'

Member Array
    Car:
    EG, GC8
    or you can run the car with obd2 if you can get the ecu to d16y4, and conversion loom.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg
    Quote Originally Posted by DCLXVI View Post
    or you can run the car with obd2 if you can get the ecu to d16y4, and conversion loom.
    What do you mean?

Can anyone shed some more light on this.

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    not worth the hassle as the gains are minimal
    just get the same motor and put it back in
    or just go the full way and convert to be B motor
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

Member Array
    Car:
    eg
    Quote Originally Posted by [[d a n n y]] View Post
    not worth the hassle as the gains are minimal
    just get the same motor and put it back in
    or just go the full way and convert to be B motor
    not worried about the gain just that i picked up the d16y4 dirt cheap and the current engine in the eg has blown.

Member Array
    Car:
    eg
    just wanna know what i need to transfer over so i can run it

ROKAGESAMA Array
    Car:
    2009 Lexus ISF
    Quote Originally Posted by kr4zie View Post
    not worried about the gain just that i picked up the d16y4 dirt cheap and the current engine in the eg has blown.
    well what im saying is it's not worth it if it's cheap or not
    u got a OBD1/OBD2 wiring problem and engine mounts and various other things
    so what ever you purchase to run that motor in your EG, your probably better to pick up the same motor thats out of a EG even though it might cost a tad more it'll probably end up being cheaper

**edit unless you can get all your parts thats needed (conversion harness is around 150 i think) so dirt cheap or free i really dont think it's worth it**
    Last edited by [[d a n n y]]; 06-04-2011 at 09:23 PM.
    Team Bacchus Racing Lexus ISF
    Bacchus Energy drink
    Drive your Energy

yehh do the d16y4 mate best money u will every spend, got one and i walk all over eg's mate. im making 74kw more then enough for daily