Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8

2nd hand coilovers?

Are 2nd hand coilovers worth buying? Reason im asking is that brand new coilovers are bit far fetched imho.... pricing compared to USA is ridiculous!!!

Giving that they dont leak and the seals are ok, are there real negatives?

And my budget at most is $800, if i cant find any decent used ones, ill most likely just order from the USA brand new for 800
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Hey mate,

I've always used second hand coilovers. My advice would be to stick to a well-known brand and if possible something that's locally rebuildable just to be safe. For example, Tein coilovers are rebuildable by Fulcrum dealers. Bilstein coilovers are notoriously tough but not common (I have a set on each of my cars, both second hand).
    I've also used second hand Skunk2 Pro S with good results.

Remember if you buy a car with coilovers on it already they're second hand. Whether or not they're brand new has only so much to do with their longevity.

My friend always has things coming from JDM (I got both my Bilsteins through him) so if you want I'll ask him if anything is going around.

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    im rocking a set of second hand GAB coilovers here. great spring rate and just enough stiffness for my daily.

800 is an alright budget for coilovers, try searching for D2 or something.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Hey mate,

I've always used second hand coilovers. My advice would be to stick to a well-known brand and if possible something that's locally rebuildable just to be safe. For example, Tein coilovers are rebuildable by Fulcrum dealers. Bilstein coilovers are notoriously tough but not common (I have a set on each of my cars, both second hand).
    I've also used second hand Skunk2 Pro S with good results.

Remember if you buy a car with coilovers on it already they're second hand. Whether or not they're brand new has only so much to do with their longevity.

My friend always has things coming from JDM (I got both my Bilsteins through him) so if you want I'll ask him if anything is going around.
    Oh nice, atm im still researching, im not in a rush or anything, but yea ill shoot u a pm when the time comes about finding parts from japan with ur mate... cheers

and i do agree about getting coilovers here that can be rebuild, thats a really good tip, ive heard ppl getting like topsecret, HKS an cusco coilovers, than they go bust and no one here knows doesnt wanna touch em

I do realize 800 isnt gonna get anything special, but im not really after all those fancy ones with 30 adjustable dampers as such, but as long as it makes the car handle better lol
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    Oh nice, atm im still researching, im not in a rush or anything, but yea ill shoot u a pm when the time comes about finding parts from japan with ur mate... cheers

and i do agree about getting coilovers here that can be rebuild, thats a really good tip, ive heard ppl getting like topsecret, HKS an cusco coilovers, than they go bust and no one here knows doesnt wanna touch em

I do realize 800 isnt gonna get anything special, but im not really after all those fancy ones with 30 adjustable dampers as such, but as long as it makes the car handle better lol

Exactly. Neither of my coilover sets are damper adjustable, and certainly not 32 friggin points. Even if you're that precious (don't get coils to start with just use Kings) you know you'll only ever be using a few of those ratings and never the full range. 3 settings would be fine and you won't notice the difference between 1 point lol.

Have you upgraded the rear sway bar? I haven't done mine yet but apparently it's brilliant with a coil setup.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    2nd hand coilovers are good if you are on a budget, but before purchasing them, check for obvious signs of leaking seals, find out if the owner knows the spring rates or not (alot of owners don't know) & if you want to be absolutely sure about them, take them down to pedders and get them to do a shock absorber dyno test to make sure the shock compresses & rebounds properly (in other words checking the condition of the internal valves)
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    If you find a trustworthy seller who genuinely knows the history of the coilovers then I think you shouldn't have a problem.
    After my own nightmare with buying second hand coilovers from interstate I suggest only buying things you can inspect.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    cheers guys, im running on king springs atm, so i really do wanna upgrade to the next level, an my shockers are slowly dying off.. an big plus to spring rates! i dont wanna end up with something to soft or hard

im still running the standard Sway bar, f:22mm R:14mm, i do have a whiteline 20mm rear, but im having a hard time to source the brackets to hold bolt the d-bushes and still gotta order there bracing kit for it, so that mite go in at a later date
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    cheers guys, im running on king springs atm, so i really do wanna upgrade to the next level, an my shockers are slowly dying off.. an big plus to spring rates! i dont wanna end up with something to soft or hard

im still running the standard Sway bar, f:22mm R:14mm, i do have a whiteline 20mm rear, but im having a hard time to source the brackets to hold bolt the d-bushes and still gotta order there bracing kit for it, so that mite go in at a later date

If you're on some sort of lower-end budget I would recommend the Blackworks Racing subframe brace from a distributor like Night Speed~ here on OH. They're cheaper than ASR and Function7 but probably very little difference in performance.

Alternatively sell the Whiteline and get a full setup from ASR (subframe brace, rear sway bar + brackets etc) for $389 + shipping.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    i didnt reliaze someone can source black works stuff, i was opting to source that gear from usa, but if it works out the same here, than yea definite getting it soon

thanks heaps!
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    ooh i never reccomend buying used coilovers but I have done so in the past... you jsut need to be extra carefull.

just ensure the shocks arent blown or leaky.. look for any signs of oil leak, worn rubber seals etc.. check the shaft/rod isnt bent at all from the car being in an accident as that can aslo casue the shock to leak and even fail. remove the top hat and take the spring off and see how the shock responds to compression - u should be able to compress it with your hand. if it comes back out SLOWLY it's fine.. if it just goes 'boing!' and springs straight back with little resistance then it's on the way out. if it doesnt spring back at all - it's dead.

remember - like with anything, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!! if you see some 'Zeals' for $500 they're probably dead or on the way out.. if they're $1,000 plus then they should still be fine.. but then you're in the league of NEW entry level coilovers like BC/D2/Ksport etc.

also worth noting that the coilovers that only have one set of perches (adjustment rings holding up the springs) then any height adjustment is actually effecting the stroke of the shock and also the spring rate/rebound/preload.. or you're bouncing around on what are essentially the same as having chopped springs. if you get them withthe dual perches then they have an adjustable length shock body. this measn that height adjustment wont affect the shock stroke or spring rates etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by VT3C View Post
    ooh i never reccomend buying used coilovers but I have done so in the past... you jsut need to be extra carefull.

just ensure the shocks arent blown or leaky.. look for any signs of oil leak, worn rubber seals etc.. check the shaft/rod isnt bent at all from the car being in an accident as that can aslo casue the shock to leak and even fail. remove the top hat and take the spring off and see how the shock responds to compression - u should be able to compress it with your hand. if it comes back out SLOWLY it's fine.. if it just goes 'boing!' and springs straight back with little resistance then it's on the way out. if it doesnt spring back at all - it's dead.

remember - like with anything, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR !!! if you see some 'Zeals' for $500 they're probably dead or on the way out.. if they're $1,000 plus then they should still be fine.. but then you're in the league of NEW entry level coilovers like BC/D2/Ksport etc.

also worth noting that the coilovers that only have one set of perches (adjustment rings holding up the springs) then any height adjustment is actually effecting the stroke of the shock and also the spring rate/rebound/preload.. or you're bouncing around on what are essentially the same as having chopped springs. if you get them withthe dual perches then they have an adjustable length shock body. this measn that height adjustment wont affect the shock stroke or spring rates etc.
    You sir are a legend LOL... alot of things i never woulda thought of, as of now, im considering just getting new coilovers from the USA, as the currency is good, and really the only thing im paying is the shipping so, im gonna have to say no to 2nd hand coilovers, unless there well known brand, not the cheaper brands
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC