Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Timing belt inspection (B16A)

Hey guys,

I had my valve cover off today replacing a head bolt so I decided to inspect the condition of the timing belt while I was at it. Previous owner of the motor mentioned it had done around 100,000kms and major service was carried out prior to that.

Following the service manual, it basically says to rotate the pulley and inspect the belt for cracks around the ribs and and watch out for oil soaking. After doing this, I was happy with the condition of the belt, it looked fresh and had no cracks or damage that I could see.

I didn't have any other belt to compare it with so I took a couple pics to get your opinions:

Does this timing belt look like it's been recently replaced?

And does anyone have a pic of a B16 timing belt that has done around 100,000kms?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Dont have any pics of my last one but your's looks pretty good compared to what I have seen in the past.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    also see if you can get a good look at the teeth/ribs of the belt where in touches the cam gear
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    Sucks when you dont have paper work to give you a proper answer. But bought my civic at 145xxx and still at 200000 the OEM Honda belt is fine. Who knows when it got changed. Honda is gOoooooooood
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Dont have any pics of my last one but your's looks pretty good compared to what I have seen in the past.
    Thanks, it does appear to be in pretty good condition

Quote Originally Posted by riruiz_88 View Post
    also see if you can get a good look at the teeth/ribs of the belt where in touches the cam gear
    Yeh that's exactly where I was paying most attention to (service manual says to inspect that area) and from what I can see all the teeth look like they're in new condition

Quote Originally Posted by xclusive_eg8 View Post
    Sucks when you dont have paper work to give you a proper answer. But bought my civic at 145xxx and still at 200000 the OEM Honda belt is fine. Who knows when it got changed. Honda is gOoooooooood
    I've always had that worrying thought in the back of my mind so wanted to put it at ease by taking a look. It's easy enough to remove your valve cover/rocker cover so you should give it a go if you're unsure when your belt was last changed.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG Si Hatchi
    if you are that worried, change the timing belt for peace of mind.
    [h=Massive EG6/DC2 Part Out (majority brand new)
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...y-brand-new%29]2[/h]

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    take a pic of the text on the Belt

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    can you work manufacture date from belt text??
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Car:
    twin GX160's
    No

I use the writing on the belt to estimate the age of the belt. ( not KM traveled )

Unfortunately I've already put the cover back on but I'll definitely take a pic next time its off..

Member Array
    Car:
    crx gen 1/gen 2
    You really need to look at the belt on a longer run. I stripped teeth off mine, and a closer inspection afterwards showed that the teeth were split on one side where they joined the belt. Previous casual inspection it looked ok. When you shaped the belt as if it was going over the two cams the splits were closed up and not obvious. But when you flexed the belt the cracks were very obvious. If you can't get access to the long runs, have a really close look for cracking - twist the belt up and flex it as much as possible to expose any damage. Looks good doesn't cut it.

That belt was about 15000 km's old, non honda, and had a very hard life with a lot of time above 6000rpm and wot. When it went, very valve was bent and I'll be replacing the valve guides as well. Better to be safe and replace the belt if there is any doubt.
    anjin

aka ian

Car:
    twin GX160's
    reving a the engine high doesnt shorten the life of the belt

OEM belt has been designed to handle this.. You could of had a crap belt