Have I destroyed my clutch

Hey all,

I think I've destroyed my clutch. I had to do a reversing hill start as the vehicle back up so close my front end. I had a hard time and end up using the hand brake to avoid banging in the car infront of me.

Anyways, obviously I had to ride the clutch and it let off a burning smell. During the drive home I noticed the friction was not define as it use to be and there was shuddering when engaging the gear, in particular 1st, however the problem to ease off as time went by.
    Clutch is about a year old and has traveled approximately 20,000 clicks.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    You've burnt your clutch. Your flywheel is probably polished blue from all the heat. It certainly did not do any favors for your clutch. See how you go though, if you find the clutch is still slipping ie not engaging from take off or up a hill, or changing gears, then you'll need to replace it. Maybe if you drive normal over the weeks you can run it in again and it might be fine. Just see how you go.
    Deano.

as above - just over heated the clutch and left burrs upon the flywheel surface. Just drive normally / easily over the next few days and weeks to hopefully resurface the flywheel with time.

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking the same thing. Stupid driver parked literally 10 cms in front of me on a very steep slope.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    @ Ben/Dean,

Is it possible to just replace the flywheel and not the clutch if it becomes necessary?

@OP: Bet you wanted to just key his damned car...sigh...

Member Array
    Car:
    Corolla AE92
    Dougie, you can replace just the clutch but it's highly recommended that the flywheel gets machined to get rid of the heat spots/blemishes and also for the clutch so sit flat with the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by DLO01 View Post
    You've burnt your clutch. Your flywheel is probably polished blue from all the heat. It certainly did not do any favors for your clutch. See how you go though, if you find the clutch is still slipping ie not engaging from take off or up a hill, or changing gears, then you'll need to replace it. Maybe if you drive normal over the weeks you can run it in again and it might be fine. Just see how you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    as above - just over heated the clutch and left burrs upon the flywheel surface. Just drive normally / easily over the next few days and weeks to hopefully resurface the flywheel with time.
    Thought it would be nice to follow-up with the problem I had yesterday just in case some newbie like me encounter the same problem. Those replies above is pretty much spot on. The engagement of the clutch is starting to return to normal, obviously it does not bite as it use too but at least I know my clutch isn't stuffed! Hopefully with a couple more days of driving it will get better

Haha good thing you don't have a ceramic otherwise it would be written off.