Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi

My EK wouldn't start

Hey guys, I recently bought an EK for a project car. It needs A LOT of body work and has a leaking head gasket. The real problem is I cannot get the car to start (I bought the car like this).

Can you think of any possibilities as to why the car won't start, and what do I need to do to get it up and running again? Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    370Z/DC5
    To get any answers or a solution to your problem your going to have to give much more info than just "the car won't start" it's too vague. Do you have any idea yourself of what it could be? How old is the car? Does the engine turn over when you try to start it?

hope you have a daily

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    I'm the "mechanic" on hand with this vehicle that dudomite is speaking about (since it's sitting in his driveway right now) so I'll give some more insight into it. I've taken a look at it, and basically it won't start.... it won't get any power to any of the interior electrics, and the engine doesn't turn over. Just imagine something like a car without a battery (or a flat one). When a jump start cable is connected to the battery, we get headlights and hazards. That's about it. Turning the key won't do anything at all, not even the radio is getting power, or the dash for that matter.

As dudomite stated above about leaking head gasket, I think it's more of a leak around the valve cover seal. It's basically got oil leaking all around the valve cover seals bit. After all, it has 257,000KMs on the clock and a pretty dented up ass (which I dunno how much will cost to get repaired). LOL
    Last edited by stevo1210; 14-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Check Ignition Switch

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    @ Oz_striker: it's a 1997 civic GLi
    @ stevo1210: thanks for providing more details, I don't mind about the body atm, first thing's first I need to get that thing started again.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    ignition switch as in the barrel? i know ignition relay/fuses are there. Ignition fuse isn't broken from what I can see. For the barrel, would that mean I'd have to use a multimeter and do a ignition relay test?

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    he means the black switch that sits on the end of the barrel, its hard to miss with all the wires coming out of it.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    b18c2+T Ej8
    Probable causes:
    - Battery terminal connections loose or corroded. Try to move them and check again. Baking soda diluted in some water or plain coca cola can get rid of some of the corrosion and help it start.
    - Battery discharged or faulty. If you canīt get your headlights on or they are very dim this could be the cause. If you have a multimeter check the voltage in the terminals, it should be way more than 12 V.
    - In automatic transmission equipped cars the tranny is not completely engaged in PARK. If the tranny has problems try it in Neutral. I have seen this so many times...specially, women are prone to do this :lol:
    - In manual transmission equipped cars the clutch is not completely depressed, if the tranny is in first. Try to press the pedal or put the tranny in neutral.
    - Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit. Check with multimeter to see if the starter is getting 12 V at its terminals when the key is in the ON position.
    - Starter motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear.
    - Starter motor solenoid faulty.
    - Starter motor faulty. In this case, as in the previous try to hit the starter with something like a stick, a ratchet, etc. and try to start again. In most cases this will work, however after some time you will be beat the hell out of the starter and it wonīt start..time to take it out dude.
    - Ignition switch faulty. Sometimes you can find burn wires on the wires or maybe loose connectors.
    - Flywheel teeth worn or broken.
    - Blown fuses in the inside fuse box or in the engine fuse box. Although a long shot on this troubleshooting, simple things like this can be the main cause.

Not mine but get them from google

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1 VTi
    Quote Originally Posted by hmetro24 View Post
    Probable causes:
    - Battery terminal connections loose or corroded. Try to move them and check again. Baking soda diluted in some water or plain coca cola can get rid of some of the corrosion and help it start.
    - Battery discharged or faulty. If you canīt get your headlights on or they are very dim this could be the cause. If you have a multimeter check the voltage in the terminals, it should be way more than 12 V.
    - In automatic transmission equipped cars the tranny is not completely engaged in PARK. If the tranny has problems try it in Neutral. I have seen this so many times...specially, women are prone to do this :lol:
    - In manual transmission equipped cars the clutch is not completely depressed, if the tranny is in first. Try to press the pedal or put the tranny in neutral.
    - Broken, loose or disconnected wiring in the starting circuit. Check with multimeter to see if the starter is getting 12 V at its terminals when the key is in the ON position.
    - Starter motor pinion jammed in flywheel ring gear.
    - Starter motor solenoid faulty.
    - Starter motor faulty. In this case, as in the previous try to hit the starter with something like a stick, a ratchet, etc. and try to start again. In most cases this will work, however after some time you will be beat the hell out of the starter and it wonīt start..time to take it out dude.
    - Ignition switch faulty. Sometimes you can find burn wires on the wires or maybe loose connectors.
    - Flywheel teeth worn or broken.
    - Blown fuses in the inside fuse box or in the engine fuse box. Although a long shot on this troubleshooting, simple things like this can be the main cause.

Not mine but get them from google
    Ah thanks for the reference hmetro24 I'll get to it when I have time, uni today zzzz