Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To ship my car interstate or to sell and buy a new one ?

Hi All,

I am relocating from Melb to Perth soon and would have to ship my beloved Honda Civic VTi over from here to Perth.

I am considering few options:

1) Ship it there - how much ? Anyone can recommend a good vehicle transporter ?
    2) Sell my baby away and buy another when I up there.
    3) Drive up there ?!! myself ??

Are used car prices higher up in WA /Perth than Vic/Melbourne ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Dogtooth

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    just drive it there, shipping would probably be around the 1.5k mark

im not sure what car you have but lets say its got a 65L tank. From Melbourne to Perth is about 3400kms. lets say you get 700kms from a tank so that means you have to refuel 5 times

5x65L @ $1.60/L = $520

probably allow another $500 for hotel and food etc

you still saved $500 and driving it would be fun aswell almost like a short holiday :P
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    MK6 Golf GTI
    well heres a bit of a comparison
    i moved from newcastle to the sunshine coast.
    to get it shipped from depot to depot it was gonna cost me $400
    to get it shipped from door to door it was gonna cost $700
    to drive it it only costed me 1 and a half tanks.
    Welcome Abourd

hi Grifty,

Thanks for the information. However, I am not sure if it will be safe for me to drive throughout the sparsely populated area with a car load of my own stuffs. Obviously, I won't be driving an empty car...might as well save abit on courier and drive some of my own stuffs in the car up to Perth. The car will be parked at Motel/ Inns overnight and I am concern about the safety of both my belongings and my car.

Do you reckon it'll be safe to drive still ?

Integragsi96,
    May I know which company you use to ship your car ? If it is $400, I would not hesitate to use this service instead of driving over myself. However, from Newcastle to Sunshine coast is probably not much of a distance compared to Melbourne - Perth.

CHeers
    Dogtooth

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    btw 50L tank - and yeah I'd road trip it if i were you.

Make a memory of it

stance > fenders

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    depot to depot will be cheaper but i think its gonna cost like 1k

i know someone who got a car shipped door to door from adelaide to sydney for $800
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Accord VTI-L
    Quote Originally Posted by dogtooth View Post
    hi Grifty,

Thanks for the information. However, I am not sure if it will be safe for me to drive throughout the sparsely populated area with a car load of my own stuffs. Obviously, I won't be driving an empty car...might as well save abit on courier and drive some of my own stuffs in the car up to Perth. The car will be parked at Motel/ Inns overnight and I am concern about the safety of both my belongings and my car.

Do you reckon it'll be safe to drive still ?

Integragsi96,
    May I know which company you use to ship your car ? If it is $400, I would not hesitate to use this service instead of driving over myself. However, from Newcastle to Sunshine coast is probably not much of a distance compared to Melbourne - Perth.

CHeers
    Dogtooth
    Mate, I stay in Ceduna SA every few months, make sure you stay in a motel with a lockup carpark, the drive will be an experience.Allow $150/night for Accom and food. Some remote motels can be expensive.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    for $500 i will drive your car there

stance > fenders

just get a car dealer to do it, i think should be able to do it under 1000, sell n buy will waste you more $ only on stamp duty

Driving alone wouldn't be fun. if you have mates with you in the car then it will be awesome.

I am still researching to see if there are any freight companies that can do it for a couple of hundred dollars.

Cheers
    dogtooth

**** that just get the trucks to take it, thats why they are there
    FS: BMW E60 04' 530i

I had my car trucked from darwin to sunshine coast. Cost 1k and took 5 days. I used a company that used to be called tnt, cant remember who they called now. Would not recomend them tho.