Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R

Angry Rough Running B16a (Em1)

So I bought an EM1 Yesterday.

Before I got there, the guy had degreased the motor and hosed it down...
    I simply HATE people who do this to cover up any leaks... and I just simply hate it period. I even said to him "You degreased the motor didnt you, the stench of it is fresh"...

So, doing my best to explore for leaks, checking a few things here and there, I took it for a drive... a decent drive. Car ran exceptionally well, apart from a VERY worn clutch.

Talked price and put all costs into consideration and bought it.

Came to pick it up 3 hours later, and car started to miss as soon as I left his house straight away, I pin pointed the plugs being wet... went to my mates house and pulled out the leads, splashing water on the rocker cover... *fkn d1ckhead* was running through my mind...

So anyway, I left the plugs in there and just let it air dry with the heat from the motor etc for a good hour or so... put them back in and went for a drive, seemed ok only small miss about 3k then would run fine...

This morning, turn on the car, idled fine... warmed it up and took off to work...
    -Car sounded like a rexy
    -Idle was all over the place
    -felt like something was dragging it back, hardly any throttle response
    -Ran like 5hit...
    -motor felt like it was "Sticky"... i dont know if you know what I mean

so, Im going to do the following and hopefully today...
    -Change my plugs
    -Change the leads

I just wanted to know if any one could share their experiences or have any insight to it.

Im just worried about the following drastic measures
    -Rooted distributor
    -Blown head...

I checked visually for head issues
    No contamination in coolant
    No contamination in oil
    No smoke, white or blue
    No milky residue under oil cap

If any one has any experiences or knowledge that will ease my mind... that would be awesome... not the best thing to feel after buying a new car.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    it wouldnt be a blown head gasket, it is probably just a bad missfire, change the plugs and leads and see how you go from there.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    rexy sound?... from experience.. the only time my EM1 would sound anything near that is when one of my spark plugs came off.

you might want to check that out.. see if any of them are loose, and just simply put them back in tightly, especially if the sparks plug are after market ones.. I have spit fires on mine.. and they're too thick to fit on the stock bracket.. as to why in case of a really rare case.. the plug would fall out.. and i would get those symptoms.. rexy like sound, idling all over the place, the car starts vibrating like crazy and throttle response is really laggd.

Hoped that helped alot buddy!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    LoL, how do you plugs come off? you mean leads yeah?
    I pushed all the leads in (motor and dizzy) nice and firm... but to no avail...

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    LOL.. dont ask..

nah it must've gotten loose, they're fairly old... and i think i was driving on a bumpy road at the time. Yeah.. the spark plugs. LOL.

Did you check if they work?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    No, but I will be checking tonight before I change them.. leads and plugs tonight...
    *fingers crossed*

Never heard of spark plugs unscrewing them selves hahahahaha

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    LOL.. screw on?.. Nah the plugs.. that lyk go towards the pistons. You know how you can just pull em out?.. and you just push em in? Its just rubber.
    and they fire at a certain order.

but yeah.. if one of them falls out.. you get that rexy sound, unless you let go off the gas and let the engine break for you.. it sounds normal. The balance from the power distribution is ruined as to why you get the vibrations.. and obviously.. with one piston down, you'll obviously get a laggd throttle response.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Had this on my car. Was the plugs
    snapping 2nd..

May need new leads/coil. Might have been arcing out from getting wet.

This happend to me once so I blew it all out with the compressor, then all good

Member Array
    Car:
    90 EF8 siR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaiiiwon View Post
    LOL.. screw on?.. Nah the plugs.. that lyk go towards the pistons. You know how you can just pull em out?.. and you just push em in? Its just rubber.
    and they fire at a certain order.

but yeah.. if one of them falls out.. you get that rexy sound, unless you let go off the gas and let the engine break for you.. it sounds normal. The balance from the power distribution is ruined as to why you get the vibrations.. and obviously.. with one piston down, you'll obviously get a laggd throttle response.
    They're leads dude..LOL

you have started in the right place with checking plugs / leads. will sound / run like that if not firing on all cylinders. check and clean would be in order (compressed air as above is a good start), then replacement.

if its still there after changing the above, continue further down the spark trail. You would see different symptoms if it were a head gasket I believe, so you should be fine there.