***Internal VS External Crossovers***

Hey guys,

I recently bought some 6.5" front splits with INTERNAL crossover units. Im just wondering if there are many big differences in sound quality between internal and external units.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks .

External is better

Member Array
    Car:
    ED9 CRX
    external or 'passive' crossovers will give you a few different settings for the splits so you can tweak the sound to get best results. Internal use resistors to limit output to drivers and do not have the ability to tweak the sound.

Best results come from digital crossovers via a DSP, all up to your budget.

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    no difference in 'sound quality'. only differences are, as mentioned, 'adjustability' & the amount of tweaking you can do (or in your case, lack of). still, its nothing to worry about.

lol gadget, if he's asking for differences between internal vs external x-overs then i think suggesting a dsp(or a capable hu) to go active with the ability to tweak x-over points & slopes will give him a headache.

ek57sy, are they alpine type-s' by any chance?
    /////ALPINE - )))morel - dYnaudio - \\Image Dynamics// - audison - optima - co|\|ection audison - stinger - Dynamat

Quote Originally Posted by arverson View Post
    no difference in 'sound quality'. only differences are, as mentioned, 'adjustability' & the amount of tweaking you can do (or in your case, lack of). still, its nothing to worry about.

lol gadget, if he's asking for differences between internal vs external x-overs then i think suggesting a dsp(or a capable hu) to go active with the ability to tweak x-over points & slopes will give him a headache.

ek57sy, are they alpine type-s' by any chance?
    yeh i figured adjustability was the only difference.. but i wouldnt know how 2 adjust it properly anyway haha

i got a pair of rocksford fosgate splits

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    what other internal ones are there? Ive got Alpine Type-S 6inch splits there are good for what they are, but id like to see what else is on the market
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

not too sure mugen_ctr.. just saw these at the shops n bought em haha

all i remember is that there werent too many internal crossover splits when i was looking around

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    hahahaha no worries man, most of the splits ive seen have external cross over boxes, but come to think of it, the type-S is just as good as type-R, very similar sound quality, only really differance is the mid bass is better on type r, pretty impressed with the type-s, an so much easier to install
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC