Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R

Input Shaft Bearing - Werewolf in my gearbox

Ok, before some one says to use search... I did...

however, alot of people have been talking about the humming/grinding/screeching noise they hear from the gearbox when its in neutral, they apply the clutch and it goes away...

My query is that I hear mine when it is in neutral, then foot on clutch, it goes away... its like a humming grinding tsk tsk tsk sound...

Out of all the threads I've read, I havent heard some one say it happens when they are driving... I hear mine whilst in neutral and under load...
    it sounds like a diesel motor and like my title states, a werewolf in the gearbox.

I knew this when I bought the car, and I am prepared to/ have budgeted a new gearbox, but if I can just get the input shaft bearing replaced, that would be a bonus for me

The gears dont crunch/skip or even show signs of failure, it makes a howling noise when I downshift, but never when I upshift...

I will also be doing it with a new clutch as well as the old one is worn... to save up labour costs...

So the question remains - does the input shaft bearing in the gearbox make the grinding/howling/diesel noise in neutral and under load? or could it be something more sinister...

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Dc_II View Post

however, alot of people have been talking about the humming/grinding/screeching noise they hear from the gearbox when its in neutral, they apply the clutch and it goes away...

My query is that I hear mine when it is in neutral, then foot on clutch, it goes away... its like a humming grinding tsk tsk tsk sound...
    isn't that the same thing?

depress clutch and noise goes away........

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    What you described is the problem everyone else has. Common in Hondas

It will either be the thrust bearing or the input shaft bearing

Noise when out - isb

Noise when in - thrust

Need a new clutch? Do that if you do as well.

May as well get the box checked if you do it.

Make sure the box is cleaned on the inside when put back together, and dochange the thrust bearing anyway

The thrust bearing can also cause noise as it puts pressure on the input shaft, so if this is the case, the noise will go away before you put the clutch in all the way

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    You will hear the noise in neutral and when your driving as the revs get higher usually

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    yeah sounds like isb. just google it there is plenty hoiw tos on how to change it. When seperating the shafts from the box keep everything tight and together, dont make my mistake and have a few things fall out. Was a massive headache getting everything back together
    FIGJAM

Sounds like a countershaft bearing from my experience. If it is,the sound should go away in 4th gear.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Yeah I know it sounds like a problem that everyone else has but I just wanted to rule out the fact they werent stationary and they were driving as well.

Will be doing the clutch soon, (clutch, cover, release/throw out/thrust)
    and my mechanic is changing the Input shaft bearing as well.

Sound doesnt go away, it goes through every gear

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Best thing just to get it looked at. You won't know how much your looking at until they look at the clutch and gearbox

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Yep ofcourse.
    its getting a look at tomorrow, but just wanted to gather as much as I can before I head there with some things to look out for etc

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    good luck with it dude.

Yup sounds like an input shaft bearing if its in all gears as you said.

Member Array
    Car:
    Pimpin rover
    Quote Originally Posted by rotary_snail View Post
    Yup sounds like an input shaft bearing if its in all gears as you said.
    rep for you! LOL