Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    None of this I reckon junk lol.

To the average joe, they won't have any idea how the synchros are going on their car unless you are starting to crunch gears. In theory, skipping shifts will force the synchros to do more work due to the revolution difference between different gears. The rev difference is smallest for the next corresponding gear. So technically, yes more synchro wear. Shifting gear by gear will reduce synchro wear.

Just because your mate drives and skips gears during his shifts to his fuel economy and does so smoothly does not mean his gearbox synchros are not wearing more. So unless you've cracked open a gearbox to have a look at what the synchros are like, and then compared it to a box of the same condition driven without skip shifting, then you can't make any judgement. You may not see any effects of synchro wearing until the later half of their life (I doubt any DC5 has gone through enough shifts to warrant synchro wearing unless you drive one as a taxi) so you can't say it doesn't wear.

Just because your mates gearbox runs well doesn't mean it is wearing unevenly. The effects of synchro wear take a lot longer to appear, however it does happen.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Trolling r we EVLGTR?
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Quote Originally Posted by munkaii View Post
    None of this I reckon junk lol.
    these reckons are all opinions mate incl urs!!

noone has done any testing its a controversial subject which has been done to death

you say uneven wear will occur after years yet there is no evidence it back this up

theories are very different to real world implications!

and you dont need to open up the gearbox to find the answer just analyse the gearbox oil for metal conetent!

Skip gears for 10K-----> analyse the oil for metal content
    shift conventionally 10K---------> analyse the oil for metal content

higher metal content= more wear

Will post up my fuel economy tomorrow... you will be amazed...
    Full tank i had before i left.
    Re-filled on way home... was surprised how early the light went on >.>
    Realised how much more i could of got out of the car!

Results tomorrow, mix of FWY, Low speed corners (Great Ocean Road)