Euro Auto Changing Down Gear's on Hill Descent

Hi Guys,

I had my new 2006 Honda Accord Euro Luxury for about 3 months now..it was in immac condition, 1 owner with 43,000kms on it and factory warranty until August this year. I've recently had the transmission serviced (oil changed with genuine honda atf) because I felt the auto wasnt behaving as it should and hoped this might help correct things. One of the issues is that the car seems to change down gears randomly in situations I feel it shouldnt. For example yesterday I was descending down the hill toward the mooney mooney bridge on the F3 freeway and it changed down a gear into
    3rd with my foot not even on the accelerator. Also it will often change down gears through normal street driving from 3rd to 2nd when I havent put my foot down to accelerate considerably. Is this normal behaviour or should I be concerned? This is my first automatic car and first honda. I want to resolve all potential issues before my warranty runs out. I realise the ECU sets shift points but not sure if any potential internal transmission malfunction or damage may cause such symptoms...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards
    Pete

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    that's normal for modern auto cars.

you don't want to be rolling down the hill without some engine braking if an emergency suddenly came.

it uses no petrol when doing so anyway and gives traction with the engine being engaged.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Were you using cruise control? If so, then it's normal, the cuise control will shift down If it senses hill, and will also shift down to use engine braking.

It will also shift down if you don't give enough revs on an incline

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Were you using cruise control? If so, then it's normal, the cuise control will shift down If it senses hill, and will also shift down to use engine braking.

yeah i thought maybe if i was using cruise it would have done it but i wasnt. Just never noticed it before and seemed odd. Good to know it isnt an issue with the transmission.

I'm still not 100% convinced this is normal behaviour...it actually gave me a slight fright when cruising down a hill to change into a lower gear that caused the rpms to go rather high up in order to 'slow the car down'...I wonder if this only happens with your foot off the accelerator...and why has it only happened to me once when i've done the same hill 7 times in the last few months. It did it in 2 instances in the one trip. I'm also wondering whether it would do it in tip tronic mode.

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Limited Edition
    It won't do it in tiptronic mode. It's better that it does it though.

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Quote Originally Posted by petegangies View Post
    I'm still not 100% convinced this is normal behaviour...it actually gave me a slight fright when cruising down a hill to change into a lower gear that caused the rpms to go rather high up in order to 'slow the car down'...........
    it's Honda, you should not be frightened with going high rpm or going vtec

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV Luxury
    Mine even changes down around a corner. It's the Honda Grade Logic function: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfI3PNz5WgU
    SPQR
    The first ever Whiteline RSB pattern for CL9 Euro.
    The world first ever after market RSB for RE4 CRV.

Quote Originally Posted by SPQR View Post
    Mine even changes down around a corner. It's the Honda Grade Logic function: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfI3PNz5WgU
    great info...thanks guys...I can breathe easy now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post

Mine has never changed down while going downhill with cruise control (although I'm pretty sure it will if I touch the brakes)... It engine brakes in 5th gear, but if it's a really steep hill then the car will just keep going faster and faster unless I intervene and help it.

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 CRV Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by seanneko View Post
    Mine has never changed down while going downhill with cruise control (although I'm pretty sure it will if I touch the brakes)... It engine brakes in 5th gear, but if it's a really steep hill then the car will just keep going faster and faster unless I intervene and help it.
    If you touch the brake, the cruise control will disengage. What I do is change down to D3 (in a CL9) at the top of the hill. This helps control the descent speed but does not disengage the cruise control.
    SPQR
    The first ever Whiteline RSB pattern for CL9 Euro.
    The world first ever after market RSB for RE4 CRV.