Member Array
    Car:
    Teg

DC2R Ignition Coil Problem!

Help: Ignition Coil Problem DC2R

Yesterday my car died after reversing out of my driveway and getting out to lock the gate (luckily wasn't miles away)
    Did some searching and found that the ignition coil is one weak point of B series engines, my problem started looking obvious after that..

Started eliminating some possible problems to be sure:

- Checked for fuel pressure, was fine (pleeenty sprayed Zzz).

- Pulled the spark plugs and checked for spark, there was none at all.

- Checked for compression, was fine (just a hand test).

- I Pulled dizzy off the day before to clean the contacts inside the cap with some fine grit abbrasive paper, did the same with the rotor.
    - Checked the spark plugs the day before for condition they were in, gap was fine and it looked a little bit too clean, gave them a little buff up whilst they were out.

So today I pulled the dizzy and rotor off and unscrewed the coil, to get some readings off it with an ohm meter.

The primary winding resistance was 0.4 - 0.6 ohms but was holding 0.4 most of the time.

(Manual states; Primary winding resistance [between the A(+) & B(-) terminals]: 0.6 - 0.8 Ohms)

The secondary winding resistance was 9.6 - 9.7 K ohms.

(Manual states; Secondary winding resistance [between the A(+) & secondary winding terminal]: 12.8 - 19.2 K ohms)

Notes: Going off the Ignition Coil Test in the service manual.
    -'00 B18C7 (roughly 136 thou)

I'm guessing that I'm definately up for a new coil is there any aftermarket coils worth having a look at or just keep it oem?, Any other trouble shooting would be great.

Cheers,
    Luke.

Member Array
    Car:
    civic
    you can replace it with an aftermarket from your car parts supplier for around $40, or oem for i think $150. call your local honda dealer, get some figures.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    hey buddy, the coil in my dizzy shit itself one day when i was driving along and i got stuck at some traffic lights for about 10 minutes waiting for friends to come give me a push. haha.

anyways, have a look at this youtube video by EricTheCarGuy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EricTheC.../0/9K78XIhhjAQ

this should help you diagnosis if its your coil or even your icm.

i got a replacement coil from repco thru work for $65.

or if you want you could fork out extra money and get an aftermarket beefed up dizzy from us ebay from dizzy/distributor king (i think)

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    Teg
    Quote Originally Posted by nugget View Post
    you can replace it with an aftermarket from your car parts supplier for around $40, or oem for i think $150. call your local honda dealer, get some figures.
    So best bet is to stick to the oem one?

Member Array
    Car:
    Teg
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    hey buddy, the coil in my dizzy shit itself one day when i was driving along and i got stuck at some traffic lights for about 10 minutes waiting for friends to come give me a push. haha.

anyways, have a look at this youtube video by EricTheCarGuy.

this should help you diagnosis if its your coil or even your icm.

i got a replacement coil from repco thru work for $65.

or if you want you could fork out extra money and get an aftermarket beefed up dizzy from us ebay from dizzy/distributor king (i think)
    Cheers, yeah checked that video out was pretty good, I'll give them a shot.

Member Array
    Car:
    civic
    Quote Originally Posted by slingsy View Post
    So best bet is to stick to the oem one?
    i reckon it doesnt matter if its oem or aftermarket. they both have one year warranty.. its up to how much you want to spend.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    aftermarket dizzy bits will nearly always be cheaper

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    any luck yet buddy?

some kids garage

Member Array
    Car:
    Teg

Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    any luck yet buddy?
    Yeah, just got one for $80 at Autobarn.. mainly because Honda said it would take 3 weeks to order one for me zz (baby needs to be driven!). Looked identical to oem one, this will do, but if problem arises again it will definitely be oem or high end aftermarket.

Cheers all, for the help.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    good to hear, i havent had any problems with the coil i got from repco and its been a few months now.

some kids garage

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    It's also a good idea to replace ur dizzy cap and rotor instead of just cleaning them..u can get dem oem from u.s eBay for $50-$60..another maintenance thing for dizzy wud be to tighten plugs inside d dizzy as dey get loose over time

Member Array
    Car:
    Teg
    Great help from all, admins please close thread.