Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

tyre pressure for track day?

Hey guys, i'm going to the track this weekend and i've got a new set of wheels which are 16 inch rims. I've always had 15" so i'm unsure what tyre pressure i should run for optimum grip as the max psi on the 16's is 51psi.

I have some wedsport tco5's in 16" with falken rt615 tyres 215/45/16.

Any suggestions on tyre pressures would be of great help.
    DON'T GET RIPPED OFF DIY

With good street tyres like those I think you should be looking at around 40psi HOT. Around 34psi cold and give it some hot laps and then check the pressures straight after the first session.

any suggestions for the specific front and rear pressures?

extra info: i drive a dc2r with stock sway bars, cusco zero 2's. the car is fully stripped out other than door cards and dash. front and rear strut braces. dont know if the change in weight distribution will matter.

obviously i'll tweak on track but just wanting a starting point for my first session.

thanks
    DON'T GET RIPPED OFF DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type S
    generally for ff cars you run the back higher then the fronts cold, coz the fronts do more work. For street tyres i ran it hot at 45psi, so i started the rears at 40 and the fronts at 38, and adjusted accordingly.
    Eastern Creek 1:50.124 video
    My Build Thread

Would 45 psi hot be too high for not enough of the tyre to be in contact with the ground? I thought 40 was around the limit but correct me if I'm wrong. Happy to learn.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type S
    Quote Originally Posted by munkaii View Post
    Would 45 psi hot be too high for not enough of the tyre to be in contact with the ground? I thought 40 was around the limit but correct me if I'm wrong. Happy to learn.
    With street tyres, you want to keep the pressure high like that because the sidewalls aren't as strong as say a semi slick. Ive seen people run with 40, and have shredded their tyres. I guess it all comes down to what brand/model tyres you use. Also, that american pro driver guy that goes to the circuit club track days told me to run it at 45, so i did
    Eastern Creek 1:50.124 video
    My Build Thread

anyone else have any input? more specific to my setup. thanks
    DON'T GET RIPPED OFF DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    Vibe-S & EG9
    I run the same pressure in my 15s as I do my 16s. Front around 33-34psi, rear 36psi cold, when hot works out to 40psi front 40psi rear.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Hatch
    Yeah at my first drivers briefing they said run 40 psi on the street tyres,

What do people recommend for federal RSRs? They aren't quite a semi slick but they are superior to a street tyre.
    FIGJAM

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    Cause they are cheap for people on a budget. But with everything, its pros and cons.
    Deano.

when you guys say 'hot', after driving around for a long time 'normally' is that considered hot? or is that considered cold and when i get on the track its going to be hotter?
    DON'T GET RIPPED OFF DIY

Member Array
    Car:
    Vibe-S & EG9
    Hot is after a track session, trust me they're going to get much hotter than any road driving you can do.