Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    If Macpherson struts were so good, why did Nissan switch to double wishbone design for the front of the GTR-32 (all other Skylines had macphersons with IRS)? Nissan's engineers probably realised with 1990s technology and tuning knowledge the torque steer that results from the 50% of RB26DETT power going to the front wheels will destroy the GTR32's legendary handling. That's probably why Honda decided to go with double wishbone to keep up with the 'big' power of the B-series engines.
    Because back then the complementary technologies to make Macpherson struts perform well were not available or it was too expensive to make changes to the chassis. Also, the R32 GTR was designed for Group A homologation, so if they wanted to go all out to win Group A races, then why not go all the way with double wishbone suspension?. R32 also wanted to match the Porsche 959, so why skimp on Macpherson strut and gain negative stigma on being a "regular" car.

Quote Originally Posted by Glocker View Post
    Now with highly sophisticated, stiffer chassis and suspension components, Macpherson struts will probably come out on top as the cheaper option. In fact, some very quick hatchbacks have gone back to using torsion beam rear suspension, especially those from Europe! What I guess I'm saying is that all suspension types have their pros and cons, it's just a matter of matching them with the chassis, drivetrain and power.
    Torsion beam is used for 3 reasons. First, it is cheap. Second, it gives you maximum boot space width. And third, it is a free super thick rear sway bar. And in Europe, everything is about how many chickens, bicycles and cows you can fit into the boot of your car. That is why hatches are so popular in Europe, you can fit much larger/taller objects in the boot compared to a sedan.
    Last edited by aaronng; 08-06-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Another irrelevant thought - cl7 and cl9 both have double wishbone - between this and the s2k of recent , one is performance other is a lardy family car. There
    Is much more playing into a cars performance than just the design of the front suspension !

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    Mate, you completely contradicted yourself.
    1 - you say this proves not all double wishbone setup is good.
    2 - you then comment on why double wishbone setup is better. By saying but honda focused on comfort, not good handling. (in a tone which defends the double wishbone setup over the struts.)
    im saying HONDA double wish bone design may not be as great............. not saying the actual concept of double wish bone is bad
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    im saying HONDA double wish bone design may not be as great............. not saying the actual concept of double wish bone is bad
    Design is perfect

Setup is compromised

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    Oh I agree , but my adage is to stir the pot - compared previously was Honda cars with double wishbone and hondas with macpherson - comparing stock to stock , later cars with machperson struts handle better (with exclusions being the type r models). This is stock for stock tho around town and around the track. People on here need to accept that a jazz 1.5 does handle better than a Eg or ek civic with a beaks tiebar and fluffy dice !
    Haha fair enough. I still think my stocko 22 year old EF8 handles better than a stock Jazz though, but as we both know that is partially superior suspension design, and the rest is springs/dampers etc. and the rest of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    in a way this proves a point that not all double wishbone design can be good, guess honda only designed this for comfort, not track, but still doesnt prove much to the world of engineering that double wish bone is bad..... most if not all race cars swear by double wish bone design, but this is coming from a race car

BUT at the end of the day, its not one component that make a car good or bad, its a combination, as many pointed out, mcpherson is simply, effective an cheap design, but been proven well on the roads, example S15, fantastic zippy cars ive driven, prbs one best road car handling ive driven around town, but with bit of boost can be tail happy.
    I bolded the relevant part of your post. I ignored the rest .

Quote Originally Posted by chargeR View Post
    I still think my stocko 22 year old EF8 handles better than a stock Jazz though
    Don't know if you've changed your bushes, but 22yo EF8 will not perform better.

LOL

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by chargeR View Post
    Haha fair enough. I still think my stocko 22 year old EF8 handles better than a stock Jazz though
    Surely you have replaced the shocks on your EF8 by now as the original ones would have worn out. So they would be aftermarket ones which have better damper settings (and I'm guessing springs to match too)
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

The scrub radius of a Mcpherson strut on a zippy FWD causes very nervous steering, hence manufacturer's use all sorts of tricks like the latest knuckle design on the Ford Focus.

Double wishbone solves that issue.

On AWD or RWDs, front Mcpherson suspension doesn't have the same extreme issues.

Nick.