Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209

Rear Disc Brake check/service (pads & rotors)

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

Aim: To service the rear disc brakes on your Honda. The guinea pig for this DIY is a 2000 Civic.

Time Needed: Depending on skill - up to one hour for both sides.

Materials: 10mm/12mm and 14mm socket/spanner.
    New Brake pads
    Anti-squeal compound (optional)
    Automotive grease
    Flat file or Long-nose pliers
    New discs (optional) or machining of old discs.
    Brake cleaner spray.
    2 Old shoelaces.
    Rubber grease (optional)

Step1: First, park the car on a flat surface, chock the front wheels (bricks work ok), put the car in gear and release the handbrake. Now loosen the wheel nuts on the rear wheels, then jack the car up and put it on jack stands. Then remove the rear wheels. Give the brake assembly a good old clean with brake cleaner.

Step 2: remove the two 10mm caliper shield bolts and the shield itself.

Step3: Remove the two brake line bolts which are behind the caliper and in front of the wheel hub.

Step 4: Get under the car and behind the caliper to remove the two caliper bolts.

Step 5: Now you are free to remove the caliper and pads. Push the caliper away from the disc, then get old shoelace and tie the caliper to the shock coil spring so it doesn't just hang down. This prevents putting stress on the brake lines.

In the pic, the caliper mounting bracket and pads have been removed and the caliper has been tied to the shock spring.

Step 6: Next, remove old pads. They should come out nice and easy. Inspect the pads for wear and replace if the pads look too worn and close to the wear indicator.

Step 7: If you are replacing the disc or machining it (recommended) follow this step. If not, proceed to step 9.

Remove the two caliper mounting bracket bolts to take off the mounting bracket.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Step 8: If the discs are scored with grooves or have a lip on them, you have 2 options. Get them machined if they are within the serviceable limit (check service manual..actual disc should the number stamped on it) or, if not, replace the discs. I got a mobile guy to come out and machine mine on the car, so I didn't need to remove them.

To remove the disc, you need to remove the Phillip’s head screws holding the disc onto the hub. You may need an impact driver. Like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDcxi...eature=related

When you are done with the discs, install them and re-attach the caliper mounting bracket.

Step 9; to prepare the new pads:

1st, carefully remove the shims from the old pads with a small flat knife. If you have replacement OEM Honda pads, they should have new shims, if not, re-use the old ones. Clean them and take off the retaining clips (on the mounting bracket) from the caliper mounting bracket and give them a good clean also.

2nd, install the shims on the new pads by adding anti-squeal compound (or grease) to the back of the pads only and then attaching the shims.

3rd, the corners of the new pads might be a bit rough, so file them down so they will fit easily on the retaining clips.

4th, get some grease and add it to the back of the shims and the corners of the pads which will contact the retaining clips on the mouting bracket. Finally, re-install the retaining clips on the mounting bracket. put some grease on the retaining clips. Do NOT let grease get anywhere else.

Step10: Now it’s time to rotate the piston back into its bore. Put some rubber grease on the piston rubber boot so it doesn't break or fray. Now get a pair of long-nose pliers (you can use a flat file) and rotate it clockwise until it’s flush in the caliper.

Step11: Install the new pads , make sure they are put in right. The steel wear indicator on the inner pad should be at the bottom. Then, re-install the caliper. You might have to adjust the piston anti-clockwise slightly to fit the pads. If it is aligned, the caliper and pads should fit together well as you re-install the caliper.

[IMG][/IMG]

Step12: Re-install the caliper bolts to the correct torque.

Step13: Re-install the brake hose bracket and caliper shield.

Step14: Repeat Steps 1-14 on the other side of the car. Always make sure you service both sides of the vehicle. It is advised to bleed your brakes after service.

Step15: Put the wheels back on and install the wheel nuts finger tight. Lower the car. Do the wheel nuts up tight.

Finally, test drive the car to make sure everything is fine.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 29-04-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    くまくま━━━━━━ヽ( ・(ェ)・ )ノ━━━━━━ !!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Awesome mate!

Nice and comprehensive

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Finally, a comment! Thank u. Hope this helps some new-to-mechanics peeps to DIY brakes.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 05-04-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Hangin' out were ya

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Yea, I needed some props, DIY took me a while to put together.

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    good diy. i had a cunt of a time doing my rear pistons with a set of multigrips lol

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    Thanks Lukey, I'm glad to contribute.

Multi grips might have been a bit fiddly. I used the pliers instead of the file.

However, a file is better. Just add pressure and it sticks nicely as you turn.
    Last edited by Mikecivic78; 15-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    good stuff Mike, Im going to replace my rears this weekend

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    It's also a good idea to grease the rods in the caliper mounting bracket boots.

Just gently pull the rod out (with care) and grease it, then reinstall.

[IMG][/IMG]

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Chuck that pic in the 1st post,for when people print the DIY

Nice one!

More detail,the better!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    cant you just leave handbrake on first "click", spin piston back in caliper, install pads and mount on disk, loosten that 17mm handbrake bracket nut, press & depress the brake peddle few times, tighten the 17mm handbrake braket nut , and your done??

That way you have installed new pads, pushed piston back to perfect spot (in terms of catch and release of rotor), and also adjusted hand brake?? Its what I do and have had no issues at all, just a process i guess..

what ya'll think?
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED-209
    front brakes/rotors DIY coming very soon!

Hope I can help some peeps out.