Thread: clutch issues

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 ek4

clutch issues

hi all having clutch issues , spent 2 hrs reading but still a bit confused.
    so heres what happened went to turn corner and downshift but wouldnt go into gear
    got stuck in neutral and wouldnt go into any gear , clutch pedal felt weird like lost some of the oomph. goes into gear fine with out motor running but with motor running - clutch in and 1st gear selected - as soon as i release the clutch i get movement of the car but i get a deep scrapey noise with it . motor runs fine with no clutch engagement . checked the master its ok no leaks , slave seems to have been wet a bit , but burnt dried around the nipple area but theres no loss in reservoir .... im thinking thrust bearing or maybe cracked pressure plate but im not a mechanic , any
    suggestions ? cheers

leaks under your legs?

If positively sure there are no leaks then it must be the pressure plate.

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    remove the boot which covers the fork that goes into the gearbox
    shine a torch in and see if there's enough movement

I'd hazard a guess and say internally leaking master/slave cylinder?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 ek4
    cheers all , you mean the rubber boot at front near rad .black 1 was gonna remove but reservoir is still full , so no leak .

Quote Originally Posted by vinnY View Post
    remove the boot which covers the fork that goes into the gearbox
    shine a torch in and see if there's enough movement

I'd hazard a guess and say internally leaking master/slave cylinder?
    Do this. Man is bang on the money, although the slave cylinder can't leak internally. The master is the one which can leak internally, if it does bleed back on itself, it will result in loss of pedal action. So check down at the clutch fork and see if it is operating correctly.

If that checks out fine, then the next place to look would be the pressure plate.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 ek4
    cheers will try tomorrow

definitely your pressure plate is gone (a spring popped out) or your clutch disk cracked. get a new clutch problem solved. wont be the leaking master/slave.
    DON'T GET RIPPED OFF DIY

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 ek4
    thankyou yeah im thinkin clutch -- no loss of fluids - scraping noise when i let clutch out - sounds like crack or maybe as you say spring maybe . thinkin on doin it myself - $850 at honda ha ha ha - but havent done a clutch for 20yrs and it was rwd , so im hoping wynodes diy serves me well -- if i do it myself do i only need to remove drivers side drive shaft or do you have to remove both of them . cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    green whip!
    gotta remove both from the gearbox(well driver side and the intermediate shaft, no need to separate the actual driveshaft from this though)