Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rev limiter

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    97 ek4
    thanks ecu man - i shall have a word with him in a few weeks . still not sure about the limiter , no speed restrictor either , taken it up to 195 but speedo could be out. after i do clutch ill take it slowly to 9k and see what happens . thanks again

Green block gangster Array
    Car:
    twin GX160's
    with a new clutch taking it to 9k fast or slow makes not difference. its how you take off that counts

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Might just jump in here rather than post elsewhere if that's alright.

My JDM B16A (head build) is running an ECU from Japan that limits my RPM to 9000. Is it safe to run the stock internals (block/rods/bolts etc) this high given than standard fuel cut is 8400?

Built with Skunk2 stage 1 shafts/gears, Supertech HD springs/titanium retainers, Jun 0.5mm oversized valves, ITR TB/IM, 3-angle grind, re-welded combustion chambers and enlarged intake/exhaust ports with matched manifolds.

Thanks and sorry to hijack!

What ecu is it? JUN, Mugen, stock?

Are you making power above 8500?

I would say its ok. but if you're not getting any advantage other than your adrenalin rush then don't bother pushing it that high.

I think its normally the stock springs, retainers that can't handle the high rpm stress.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Yeah I also thought it was mostly the springs/retainer, thanks.

Not sure of brand. JonSton imported it for his own use then flogged it off to me while I wait to go OBD1 and full Hondata. It's OBD0 and pre-tuned for I/H/E + port job + cams. No-name.

Feels a bit laggy until about 6000 RPM but then it's consistent power all the way to 9000. Hoping the Hondata will pickup the mid-range a bit. I don't push it that hard anyway, only drive it once a week or so. And 2nd-3rd crunches at 9000 RPM but not at 8500 RPM so I don't always wanna go all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    What ecu is it? JUN, Mugen, stock?

Are you making power above 8500?

I would say its ok. but if you're not getting any advantage other than your adrenalin rush then don't bother pushing it that high.

I think its normally the stock springs, retainers that can't handle the high rpm stress.

It's laggy cos its a 1.6

LMAO

Both of my cars just feel shit compared to my partners, its like they are asthmatic. lol

Just wait till the modifications start rolling in.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Before I did the head build I had a very smooth torque curve, you could hardly feel the crossover. So I'm shifted the power curve upwards a little bit but it still feels laggy, and not 'hurry up' laggy but more like 'why are you going?' laggy if you know what I mean