Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 Civic Si

What exhaust system setup?

Hello ozhonda.

I been looking around the forums for topics on exhaust systems but not getting information on what i want..

at the moment i have 4-2-1 headers going in to oem cat and im after a nice system. I have a few questions about what i had in mind for my car.

1. If i was to get a new setup, what is a reccomended piping diameter.
    2. Should i use a hotdog in the middle?
    3. What sort of muffler would be best suited? FD2R muffler? or DC2R muffler? OR a cannon?

thanks ozhonda

btw i drive eg civic.. o:

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    please no cannon.

it all comes down to what do u plan on doing with the car?
    are u looking for a daily?
    will this be modified in the months to come? (turbo, N/A build)

if u just want an exhaust setup for a daily, u could go with the xforce 2 1/4" catback (i hear its epa legal).

but a little but more detail on your aspirations for the car.
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    eg5
    Im assuming its a D-series motor?

Go with 2.25" diameter mandrel bent system. for sure add a resonator to reduce drone and it would be best if you went with a high-flow cat.
    Your choice for axle back, i'd go something along the lines of a spoon axle back or some twinloop/oval muffler.

If B series go with 2.5" size piping.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    as said above if its a D series aim for 2.25" and a B series aim for 2.5" - but 2.5" will be ok for both if need be

personally i would get a magnaflow hi-flo cat, mandrel bend catback piping with 1 or 2 hotdog resonators and either a xforce S10 or S12 twinloop muffler or if you want the stock sound the DC5 Type-S is the muffler of choice for highest flowing stock honda muffler
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    For D-series with I/H/E I personally would not go above 2" if it's a daily driven car and you want to retain your low-mid range power. Mild steel will be less raspy than stainless steel. Press bends are fine for a daily, but you'll have better flow with mandrel bends. Don't cheap out on the muffler, get a good one. High-flow cat recommended.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by quangsuke View Post
    please no cannon.

it all comes down to what do u plan on doing with the car?
    are u looking for a daily?
    will this be modified in the months to come? (turbo, N/A build)

if u just want an exhaust setup for a daily, u could go with the xforce 2 1/4" catback (i hear its epa legal).

but a little but more detail on your aspirations for the car.
    theres no such as epa legal lol, if it looks illegal, u will get pinned for it, regardless of sound, just hope its under 90db, and running a varex doesnt help as well... its stupid how some cars come with that feature yet are "legal"

as said stick to 2.25...... and defiantly get a quality axle back, believe me, the difference between a cheap autobahn one and well branded one...>.....................................<..... . big gap, even i find the Xforce ones dont sound as good as some of the other well branded ones....
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro 06
    i just installed mine about a month ago, with 2.5" chrome piping with resonator and double sports mufflers cat back system, tips are 3.5" stainless steel but doesnt change anything.... sounds good, deep and not too loud and please no cannon's

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    such a dislike for cannons LOL, i love my cannon, Vision R n1 axle back, sounds good, quite on idle, and also rare as, only one i know in vic
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 Civic Si
    thanks for all these ideas guys and im enjoying reading everyones input personally i dont like the cannon mufflers unless the cars turbo but you get some ricers installing them these days on their eg gl's and gli's lol

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    nothing wrong with the Gli - look at what i did with mine in my build thread lol

i also didnt really notice much difference between 2.25 and 2.5 setups on D series engines ... but meh

i agree - i even hated the canon on my subaru - changed it to an oval barrel =)

What dougie said!

Press bend will even do fine, the difference is so minimal it wont matter. Even for a b series you could go 2.25 press bend. IMO 2.5 is overkill for b-series, they can take it but i reckon you would lose power...again very minimal. If it is D-series i would just go to an exhaust shop and tell them what you want, 2.0 press bend.

Or you could get a cheap mandrel bend system off ebay for around $250-$300. End of the day Its just metal piping, its not forged by shaolin monks with years of perfect meditation and precise welding.
    Of course if i was doing a serious build with bigger cams etc i would get the expensive stuff
    DEEFUFF 4LYF

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    my mechanic did my entire system at a damn nice price on my D15b7/a6/z6 build - 2.5" stainless catback mandrel bent with quality welds done for $300
    my headers were $140 and i got my xforce twinloop for $40 from a member on here

its not what you know - its who you know lol