Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S

K20 hydro-lock engine rebuild.

Just wondering if anyone could help me out. 2 months ago, I sent my car off to have my car assessed by AAMI for a possible hydro-lock via my injen CAI. They agreed to a complete engine rebuild. Just got the car back yesterday evening.

The night on which this whole hydro-locking incident happened, I ran through a puddle and my car stalled. I tried starting the engine again but the engine kept turning over but wouldn't start (i know that it was a bad idea to but i didn't really know what to do in a hydro-lock situation at that time). After having my friend tow my car to the nearest petrol station I managed to fire up the engine, it struggled but i got it to turn on. I could hear a ticking noise, so that made me think that one of my rods or valves had bent so i turned it off straight away and called up AAMI asap. Got the car towed to my place after the call.

So whats going on now is i can still hear that ticking noise coming from the head. This noise sounded similar to what my engine sounded like after i had gotten the car started after hydro-locking it. The bolts aren't scratched or marked making me think whether or not they did anything to the car and that my car wasn't hydro-locked to begin with. Highly unlikely but possible. Also the only part that was changed, that i can visibly see is the alternator.

Another thing is, as i was getting up my driveway for the first time, the car stalled and the engine wouldn't start until i waited half an hour for it to cool down.

What do you guys think caused my car to stall and what do you think is causing the ticking noise?

Any info would be great. Thanks

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Sounds like they did nothing.
    Who was the repairer?
    They're obligated to warrant their work.
    TODA Performance Australia Pty Ltd
    TODA Racing - FIGHTEX - MFactory - HALTECH - EXEDY
    Race engines, Dyno tuning, Licenced workshop, Parts.
    P:0401869524 email: toda@todaracing.com.au

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    Yeah thats what i thought, I reckon they just took out the sparkies and drained all the water out. They claim to have replaced the whole block because they found a hole in it.

I don't want to give their business a bad name, not until i fully understand whats going on but theyre one of the future auto repair centres in brisbane (Not hondacare). Car sometimes struggles to turn on as well but I'm just assuming it's because its a 'new' engine.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    They told me that ticking noise is normal for a rebuilt engine and that it's probably the valve timing. What do you think?

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Sounds like B/S to me, a rebuilt std engine should sound the same as a new engine, like a sewing machine.
    It should also start & run like a new engine.
    Anyway, check the engine number on the block, next to the starter motor.
    See if matches your old rego, my guess is the block is the same.
    Of note, you would have needed a blue slip or the Qld equivelant to transfer the engine number on the rego too,
    & you'd pretty much have to do that unless it was a fleet car.
    Le'me guess, it's the same?

If the number is the same & you've got something in writing from AAMI saying all this work was done,
    Ask them how they feel about fronting up to fair trading.
    In the mean time, get a hold of the Insurance ombudsmun & see what they can do.
    Bet they made you pay your excess too
    (Yup, I hate insurance companies - pack of theives)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    so the new block should come with a new engine number? The repairer hesitated to give me the receipt and told me that it was all in their computer, they said that they would email me a copy though. Thought it sounded dodgey...

PS aami did send me their own quote but didn't state what sort of repair was done. Just a price quote of $11,801.90

They also got me to pay a contribution fee of $1923 plus my $400 excess before the repair could commence.

Member Array
    Car:
    Yellow EG =D
    thats an arm and leg. engine number should be different on the new block. u can check this by ur registration sticker (as above)
    WINTON PB - 1:48.9
    EG5 1.6L SOHC

in for story!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    Engine numbers are the same. wtf is going on...

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by FDCivic View Post
    so the new block should come with a new engine number? The repairer hesitated to give me the receipt and told me that it was all in their computer, they said that they would email me a copy though. Thought it sounded dodgey...

PS aami did send me their own quote but didn't state what sort of repair was done. Just a price quote of $11,801.90

They also got me to pay a contribution fee of $1923 plus my $400 excess before the repair could commence.
    thats rubbish, 12g for the repair and you still gotta fork 2g?
    DEMAND receipt.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    thats rubbish, 12g for the repair and you still gotta fork 2g?
    DEMAND receipt.
    if its a rebuild, then it will be same engine number.
    unless it specifically said in receipt that new engine is put in.
    12g should get you new engine for sure, wtf kinda labour is 12g holy mama.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Array
    Car:
    08 Red CU2 Euro
    Write down all of the details you can remember, times dates, conversations etc.
    Try & remember the horseshit you've been fed... The hole in the block, the replacement block the whole bit.
    Sounds like you paid for everything & got stooged.
    The ombudsmun will be real interested in this.
    Also, report the repairer to the ATO if the refuse to give you a recipt / tax invoice

Just to make you feel even better,
    You know for that sort of money you could have shipped your car down to me, had it rebuilt & sent back in perfect order...
    With a new block & internals if needed, plus you could have kept your contribution & excess in your pocket.
    $11,800 for a standard engine overhaul - What a scam!
    Or you could have had a built engine with a fair bit of fruit in it.
    But you don't.

reminds me of that old song... Things that make you go Hmmm...