Thread: B20 vtec ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda eg civic

B20 vtec ?

Hey guys just another post ..... So I just want to get peoples appinion on b20 vtec's , are the reliable ? Some people say don't go b20 you can't rev them hard ?? I just wanna know if it's worth it or not , how much power gain u should be seeing and if it's better to runn b16s heads or b18cR heads ?

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda eg civic
    B16a****

hey man, read through the whole thread. Don't miss any posts. please take your time, read it carefully & read ALL of the thread.

After that, if you still have questions, ask in that thread.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...cussion-thread

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by on-tec View Post
    Hey guys just another post ..... So I just want to get peoples appinion on b20 vtec's , are the reliable ? Some people say don't go b20 you can't rev them hard ?? I just wanna know if it's worth it or not , how much power gain u should be seeing and if it's better to runn b16s heads or b18cR heads ?
    Bludger has directed you to a very useful thread, props to him.

Short answer:
    - They are reliable if built correctly, as with most engine builds.
    - They generally don't rev as hard as a B16A/B or B18C, but can still get up to 8000 or so RPM, and I've seen them do 10k RPM in extreme cases. If you want to keep hitting 9k RPM then modify a B16 or B18. I personally love to rev hard.
    - Hell yes it's worth it. The low-end torque you get feels quite insane compared to the B16 and B18. Better for daily driving and very quick.
    - The figure I see the most is around 110-115kw ATW with I/H/E.
    - Debatable which head is better. I have personally heard (but don't exactly believe) that the B16A head flows better than the B18C head in standard form (no evidence AFAIK), but the B18C7/R heads would all work very well since they have more aggressive cam profiles & ports. The B16A head is much cheaper though (I picked my spare full JDM B16A head up for $130!).

Any more questions read the other thread or post in there.