Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    09 City Vti-L

EG Brake Upgrade Help

Hey peoples,

As the title suggest I'm after a brake upgrade for my EG. Its a 92 EG GL with a B18C conversion, but to get it over the pits and legal I need to upgrade the brakes as it has drums on the rear.

Basically what I'm after is bang for buck.... I'm only new to Honda's so not really sure of models and parts.

Can somebody supply me with a part for part list of what I need to buy to change the brakes over?? From what I have read DC2 or EK seems to be the most common swap, but I have no idea what parts I need.

Any help you can give would be great.

ps: Have done search, but most answers just say swap with DC2 not what I need.....

Member Array
    For a combination of something cool and something that is practical to your needs, perhaps you can look into a 5 lug conversion( around 800-1200) which includes the entire arms hubs break lines etc etc etc - if you dont know what that is, itspretty much the breaks from a dc2r(same place where your engine is from)
    i think thats a good upgrade where u can have 5 studded rims too!
    however to answer your question better, i believe you can settle for ek4/or eg6 breaks(there the same).

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    here some are for $800. Has ABS. Not sure if that will cause any issues

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123712

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    EG's dont need a lot of braking from the rear and you prob dont want to have to buy new rims n tyres (5-lug for ITR) so I'd suggest just getting integra VTiR or GSi rear disc brakes. EG civic VTi or Si have rear discs also and are probably cheaper again - both options will retain your 4x100 stud pattern so you can retain your current wheels.

integra Type R rear brakes will be better still but as mentioned above you'll need new wheels and have to upgrade the fronts also.

not only will you need the rear hubs etc but you will need a 4-wheel disc brake master cyllinder and brake lines possibly. this is one area where i'd reccomend geting the larger integra type R unit instead of civic or integra. the little bit extra you will pay will give a firmer pedal and support any brake upgrades in the future.

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    you will need at least eg6/ek4/dc2 brakes to need it to be up to par with your current set up

you will need the front and rear complete with arms, brakes, rotors, and hand brake lines

you will also need brake booster/ bmc, and 40/40 prop valve to make it work properly

being a eg you wont need to use the abs lines which can easily be taken off

and all those brakes are 4x100 and also 32mm cvs

you can use any of those cars brake set up listed above

Member Array
    Car:
    ED B16A & EH B16A2
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-EG View Post
    Hey peoples,

As the title suggest I'm after a brake upgrade for my EG. Its a 92 EG GL with a B18C conversion, but to get it over the pits and legal I need to upgrade the brakes as it has drums on the rear.

Basically what I'm after is bang for buck.... I'm only new to Honda's so not really sure of models and parts.

Can somebody supply me with a part for part list of what I need to buy to change the brakes over?? From what I have read DC2 or EK seems to be the most common swap, but I have no idea what parts I need.

Any help you can give would be great.

ps: Have done search, but most answers just say swap with DC2 not what I need.....

Hey...

How's things?

Best bet for brake upgrades are to call a Honda wrecker and ask for front SR14 knuckles. The SR14 knuckles will take a wide range of bigger calipers like the EK4VTiR Civics, the DC2 VTiR Integras, and if you really want to with a little bit of machining, the BB4 Prelude ones. Size wise, I personally run the 282mm redrilled discs with the BB4 Calipers on the front on SR14 knuckles.

On the rear, its just best to source DC2 VTiR or EG Civic Si/VTi rear complete arm/brake assemblies and bolt them on.

Don't forget to upgrade your brake master cylinder too. I use the booster out of the EG CRX (260V-3 i think) coupled with the BB4 Prelude 15/16" brake master cylinder. Depending on the lines that are on the car, it will probably be a bolt on affair.

Any questions, PM me... :P

Hope this helps!
    Cheers.... Z

Member Array
    Car:
    ED B16A & EH B16A2
    Oh yeah... forgot... check your proportioning valve on the firewall too... you will need to change that over to a 40/40 unit.
    Cheers.... Z

Member Array
    Car:
    09 City Vti-L
    thanks guys for all the replies. kinda know what to ask the wreckers for now.

Cheers
    Heath

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    What is surprising is that EG Vtis have rear discs but dont use a 40/40 proportioning valve. They use a 30/40. Anyone know why that is the case? Just the disc size combination???

Member Array
    Car:
    ED B16A & EH B16A2
    Not sure... probably a few factors like booster sizing, master cylinder sizing, weight distribution, disc/pad sizes.... or maybe Honda just decided to chuck it in to confuse us all...

Cheers.... Z

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    maybe they replaced with wrong one

as they tend to leak round this age
    the person who replaced it couldnt find a 40/40 one

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by 90LAN View Post
    maybe they replaced with wrong one

as they tend to leak round this age
    the person who replaced it couldnt find a 40/40 one
    I thought that too. But checked an EG Si with rear discs when I was at the wreckers and that too had a 30/40 pro valve. Think jrxs-r is probably on the money