Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EG5

EG5 and 93'B18C what are my options?

Hi all, hope i put this in the right category.

I have an EG5 that i recently aquired and a B18C stamped a 93 build that ive got from a past car. I want to put the B18C in the EG5 and get it engineered for road reg but from what ive read you cant put an older motor into a newer chassis so im stuck and need some advice. Is there away around this problem?
    I could run the risk and not reg it but been there done that i want to be legit..
    I did a search on here and from what i understand the year is only on the head yeah? So i could swap the head for a later model and i should be ok then maybe..thoughts??
    Or i my other option is to sell the motor and get a later model..
    I have been considering a type R but im not looking to break the bank on this i was hoping i could just swap the head? Or am i wrong can i get the 93 motor engineered in the 95 chassis? Im still reading up on what the law is regarding this but from what i understand its to do with polution?
    Some advice and info would be really appreciated!
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    93 on the block of a b18cr?? pics of block

being a 96-01 style block you'd be fine:

use the right bolts for mounts, ensure the car meets emissions, no leaks from anywhere on the engine, enclosed air box (not required in all states, but it looks cleaner)

you basically want it as stock looking as can be for an engineer then go off and upgrade

perfect car for the b18cr stock
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    I've heard people who are certain that the engine needs to be newer and then I've talked to people with older engines registered in newer shells so I don't know who to listen to.
    I am of the understanding that the emissions systems need to meet the year of the shell.

Consider calling or emailing your states road authority or a workshop that does engineer certificates and get as much information from as many sources as you can.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    its all about emissions for that year of car more than anything, hence why you can put a 96 itr engine into an em1 or newer civic
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG4 GLi
    so you mean the emissions for the 92-95 for example?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    As i said the motor i have is a jdm B18C NOT a type r, i was considering selling the motor i have now to get a type r for its later manufactured date which would solve my problem. But a type r for 5k+ is more than i can afford, shit its double i paid for the car!
    Since i have the B18C anyway i just want to be able to drop that in and get it on the road legit.. this is frustrating no wonder theres so many unregistered motors in cars.
    Im aware of what i will need to do to get it passed such as brake upgrade etc and keep it stock using the tegs airbox etc for inspection, im in Adelaide and our inspections are farked so its stock as possible here. Im just trying to get to the bottom of my original question " older motor in a newer chassis"
    Cheers for the replys so far guys!
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    95 JDM civic siR
    hey dangerjbl
    i dont know about older or newer engines but i know that you have to compare the power from an EG and Teg
    brake upgrade may be needed if the power ratio is too big...stock airbox is fine or if you have cai must be stablised
    make sure that the rest of the car is legal or you need to fix that too for engineering
    i have done these to my EG6 w B18CR a yr ago

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Im suprised this isnt a hotter topic than it is hense all the EG B18C conversions...
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Member Array
    Car:
    Understand
    You pretty much need to upgrade your eg's brakes and sussy to meet up with whatever the engine came from.

~King Of Spam~

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    I have an EG5 + B18C2. Took the car to a mechanic after the conversion was completed to get the engine blueslipped and he didn't even bother asking about brake upgrade etc. The mechanic just wanted to see a receipt/ paper work of the new engine. So my engine number is now on my rego papers etc. Was easy as that for myself.

I live in NSW though, so laws maybe much different regarding the same situation.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5
    Hmm thats interesting Hussler, what year is your B18C2 tho?
    EG5 w/ B18C Project.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG civic
    True true dangerjbl...I sort of failed to answer your question!..my motor was '95 built and my EG5 '93...so I guess all was fine..

My cousin installed an EG6 B16A into a CXI and blueslip was still fine!!!! :s

Both cars were converted in NSW.