Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: avo turbo

Snap Happy! Array
    Car:
    ER34
    I think you guys will benefit by learning to read compressor flow maps.
    I find picking a target power range and THEN selecting components to suit makes a much more potent setup.

Why undersize or oversize things?
    ClubITR.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    I agree, though i havent learnt to properly read a compressor map yet i did choose a GT28 because it should match my goals/setup perfectly. If i decide to upgrade, then i will look at which turbo will suit that setup if the current one does not.

Thats the way i like to do things

Another thing you will have to think about is say for eg an S15, they come with a standard T28 bearing turbo.
    Now once you yank up the boost and slap in a bigger exhaust, cooler & an SAFC, do you think the owner will now have to rethink about getting a bigger turbo or look to highflow it? Not really. The owner has used what's available and upgraded parts around it to make the most out of what he/she has got. The T28's were used in the S15 because they are efficient (size, flow, quick spool).

Now if you were to build a good street car with the view of low boost, I don't see any need for working out the size of the compressor housing/wheel, and exhaust housing/wheel when you can pretty much say that a T28 in standard trim should easily do the job.

Member Array
    Car:
    450kwCRX-DC2R-CBR600rr
    There’s actually lots of ways to read turbo’s and numbers, and the numbers / how to read them changes between seriers.
    So when im talking about a GT30, im talking about the core ONLY.
    You can machine the core into a t25 t28 t3 or t4 exhaust housing, again all depending on the application, which is why I always use Gt30 cores it’s a great core and produces unbeatable power for stock engines, and even highly modified engines.
    For 2.0L engines with large boost you should be looking at the GT40 core, again im not denotation what size exhaust housing or intake housing to use, just the core. As for stock s15 turbo’s there tiny man !! hmmm I totally don’t recommend those. They run out of puff just above vtec, after vtec is where our engines come alive, even more alive with a turbo with lots of puff !!

Anyway back to the topic !! get your self a custom kit, don’t listen to internet mechanics who think they know everything talk to workshops that have results, and facts n figures behind there reasoning, of course different workshops have different theories but that’s life.
    In summary thow if you want to go turbo, I highly recommend it, but I highly recommend you save much more money, or you will be without a car or in debt.

Regards James

You can build a good kit based on$5000. Don't get ripped off by "Actual" mechanics as they need to have their overheads paid. You can put together a pretty decent kit but you will need to eventually have it towed to a workshop for a dyno tune.
    Best bet is to call a few workshops for prices and what is in their kits. Based around this you will know what parts are being used. Most people here on the forums are to give advice from either personal or professional experience and some are here to make sales. Just listen to the advice, note it down and then ask the pros for some more advice.

Snap Happy! Array
    Car:
    ER34
    S15 turbo's are efficient to flow around 220rwkw.

Would be hell responsive on a little high compression 1.8L motor IMO.
    ClubITR.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by poweredbyhonda
    You can build a good kit based on$5000. Don't get ripped off by "Actual" mechanics as they need to have their overheads paid. You can put together a pretty decent kit but you will need to eventually have it towed to a workshop for a dyno tune.
    Best bet is to call a few workshops for prices and what is in their kits. Based around this you will know what parts are being used. Most people here on the forums are to give advice from either personal or professional experience and some are here to make sales. Just listen to the advice, note it down and then ask the pros for some more advice.
    Couldnt have said it better myself

Collect all the advice you can, do as much research as you can and learn all you can about what you are doing. Then you are ready to piece together your own kit, which can use quality parts, be reliable and you dont need to sell a kidney to finance it.

hmmm piece together my own kit sounds like a good idea
    i was under the assumption that getting the bits as a kit would be better as perhaps the parts are more compatable

anyways thanks for the info guys

For instance with AVO, you're pretty much getting everything that should basically bolt straight on (except for the oil lines). The only thing with a peice together is that you will have to get custom piping which is better as you can choose to go stainless rather than the standard mild steel most kits use. The piping depends on what kind of turbo, cooler size and the positioning of it all.
    Best bet is to find a place that can fit the parts you have sourced and get them to do all the welding.
    If you were not planning to do all this yourself, you should find a workshop you can trust so that they will fit all the parts you have supplied to save you from towing place to place. Be sure to choose a good fueling/tuning system.

Someone who I have gained some trust in would be Adrian from RazzTech 93593411. He's a good welder and is there to do a good job at a reasonable price.
    Shop around cause there are heaps of good parts flying around.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Vti-S turbo
    the main problem with the kits is normally fuel management, otherwise most tend to work quite well for what they are. A good example of this is the Greddy kit, the parts are quite good (smallish turbo etc, but its a low boost kit) but the fuel management is a blue-box that just basically dumps tons of fuel in to prevent detonation. (though the new kits use an e-manage instead i believe? better, but still not great)

Not really my idea of a good way to manage things